We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the rental market there?

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
546 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
How's the rental market there?

Everywhere we have been this year the occupancy is really down, and I wondered how Sanibel compares. Planning a trip the end of April, and just wondered how soon I should try to nail down a condo.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the rental market there?

I just checked Royal Shell and a couple other agencies - seems to be quite a few condos available during the month of April.

In the past, I've always booked by Sept, Nov the very latest. Last year, the people who waited until last minute had the best deals.

No idea if this will be true this year, I am noticing a few places offering good discounts for Fl residents. Waterside Inn has a really good Fall discount, as does Sanibel Arms West.

I would pick a few specific condos you're interested in, just watch them - if things start to book up, make your reservation. If not, you might be comfortable waiting for a last minute deal. Historically, March and April thru Easter is heavily reserved way in advance. Not sure if we can predict this year yet - maybe Rainstorm can shed some light?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the rental market there?

From our perspective as owners, I would say that the lowest season- August to mid-December- has somewhat lower occupancy but the high season February- April is about normal. This past late April through August wasn't bad. In fact we didn't have an open week until August.

I think that tough times (and a weak dollar) means that some folks are foregoing the Caribbean and staying in the States.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the rental market there?

Rentals were strong during the busy summer months.August and September are always slow. Kids

are back in school and these are the hottest months.

Many of the restaurant are closed for vacation or maint. at this time. October will pick up again as the snow birds return. Things look pretty good for the upcoming season. You have time to get a condo for the end of April - unless you want something very specific. It slows down after Easter and the rates will be lower by then as well.

4. Re: How's the rental market there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 06:21