We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Sanibel from airport

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Sanibel from airport

We're vacationing at the Blind Pass Condo and will fly into Ft. Myers Airport. We'd like to avoid renting a car for the 2 weeks we're there - sounds like biking is the way to go. Do you need a car or is everything assessable on bikes? If we need to rent for the trip from the airport and back, is there a place to drop off/pick up cars on the island so we don't have to rent the entire time we're there?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

Look over on your right hand side - there is a section on FAQ. While it is possible to make due without a car - most people will tell you you really do need a car on the islands. While there are 20 + miles of bike paths, restaurants, activites, shops, etc are pretty spread out.

At Blind Pass - you aren't near much at all, you will have a long ride to any store or restaurant. Also, there are no street lights so you may not ride after dark.

Taxi/shuttle services are $60 one way, you may find a car on hotwire, costco, rental car momma for less or a little bit more than a round trip taxi to and fro the airport, and for taxi costs while on island.

Also- Hertz does have an office at the Shell station near the causeway. A haul from Blind Pass on a bike. I think you need to rent a car for your trip.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

Here is a recent link with some ideas on getting to Sanibel from the airport.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k30479…

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

You absolutely need a car on Sanibel....in my opinion.

You will be glad that you spent the $ on a rental.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

Here's why you need a car... These are the approximate driving distances from Blind Pass Condo Complex (where you are staying) to the following points of interest on Sanibel:

Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge: 3.5 miles

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grill restaurant: 3.8 miles

Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum: 4.8 miles

Tarpon Bay Explorers: 5.7 miles

Amy's Over Easy Cafe: 6 miles

Bailey's General Store (groceries): 6 miles

Lighthouse Point (Lighthouse Beach): 9.8 miles

Also, you could drive about 2.8 miles (in the other direction) and be on Captiva Island.

out there
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

as long as we're on the subject of miles... can someone explain the mile markers on the island. One would think that they go from the Lighthouse to Captiva but they don't. What are they measuring ? is it for evac purposes ?

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

I recently rented a car from Avis for the 2nd week in Dec. I got the rental for 195.99 + taxes for the week... I USED PROMO CODE G335700..

ohh but those fees and taxes sure add up

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

We cant say it enough on here YOU NEED A CAR!!!

toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

I got on Hotline and rented a car during March Break 2010 for $225.00 US.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

In case you missed the theme- rent a car! I would hate to be at Blind Pass Condos and not have one...but even if I was staying closer to the"hub" of things you would miss a great deal without one IMHO.

Saratoga
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Sanibel from airport

Thanks so much for the info. We will be renting the car as you suggested. Since this is our first trip to Sanibel, any suggestions on things to do, where to eat and the weather in December is appreciated.