We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back on Island Today for a While

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Back on Island Today for a While

Normally, I'm back more frequently than 11 months, but the past year has been tough on my business and I cancelled my April, 2009 trip to Sanibel. Flew in today from Wyoming -- so, so very glad that Frontier again has direct flights from Denver.

It's warm & humid today, but cold front coming in -- its suposed to start raining tomorrow afternoon & continue off & on for 12 hours. Since luminaria is Friday, I certainly hope there's no rain, but WINK News said good chance of showers on Friday as well (however, that's for our region, not necessarily Sanibel).

Flight landed about 4:20 -- on time, but lots of turbulence. I was way in the back of the plane so it took forever to get off. The advantage of my window seat was I was clear of the wing and could see Captiva and Sanibel so well as we flew over. Seeing how huge Tarpon Bay is from the air and thinking about me kayaking across it to the Rookery Islands, always brings a smile.

After collecting my bag, decided to stop at Skip One for an early seafood dinner -- we are so rarely in that area, I hated to pass them by. I had the 1/2 lb. of spicy peel & eat shrimp (they were very good, but I didn't think were very spicy, but my DH thought they had a kick) and he had the fried clam strips. His clams were wonderful.

I will be on-island until Saturday morning (last year was my first luminaria), when we are heading across Florida to Ft. Lauderdate to catch a Carribean cruise for DH's 60th birthday. Will be gone for 7 days & then back to enjoy another month on Sanibel. I don't plan on buying internet access while on the ship, so will be unavailable from Dec. 5th through the 12th.

I'll be on Sanibel until the 9th of Jan, then back to Wyoming to work until April 16th when I will come back for what I think is some of the best time on the island.

It was dark when we got onto Sanibel tonight, but it seemed a little less decorated for the season than normal -- now some may be waiting until Thursday or Friday to turn everything on. I also only went halfway down Periwinkle, so that could also be my tired observation. It just seemed as if Mataluna was less decorated, as were a couple of others.

Glad to see that my DH had our outside lights all set and gonig, so I won't have to waste precious island time on it. .

Happy and tired to be here. All last week I thought of True & Sunny on the Sanibel and wondering why I missed out.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Enjoy your trip!!! Always glad to hear on the spot reporting from Sanibel

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

So glad you have made it there and will get some good quality time! And Happy B-day to DH!!!! What a great way to spend it...will look forward to more reports- relax and happy paddling:-)

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Spent a lazy day yesterday unpacking and getting my home office set back up. Quite warm, 82 degrees, and pretty humid, but none of the rain that was forecast. However, the TV weather says possible rain all today, and it is overcast today with high, high humidity. Ate dinner last night at Jerry's, as I was hungry for salad bar and we hadn't used the Kiwanas dinner coupon for them and the coupons expire on the 19th! I had the salad bar and fried scallops and DH had the blackened snapper, which was a special. Both were very good.

Edited: 03 December 2009, 16:10
Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Quiet day today -- overcast and a little cooler but humid. Ate in & worked on packing for the cruise and some work from home. At 3:00 knew I had to make a run out to Ding. Good thing I decided to "bug up" with long-sleeved shirt (started out rolled up, but didn't last long), long Columbia pants & lots of bug spray. Because of full moon, the tides are crazy & only 2 today. No birds at the first culvert, but I did see 2 large blue crabs. I didn't even take my crabbing gear as I have no time to cook, clean & eat them before Luminaria and leaving Saturday morning. About a third of the way through, it started raining, lightly. I love the refuge in the rain!! Saw an alligator on the the right side where they aren't usually (salt water). Since it wasn't low tide, not a lot of birds, but did see a couple of roseate spoonbils, herd of white pelicans, a lovely wood stork right along the shore (almost never see them that close in), and a nice selection of birds feeding as we went along -- some great photo ops. It was extremely buggy -- even though I was very well prepared for bugs did feel a couple of no see um bites. My allergic reaction to them had been getting better, trip by trip, but I don't know what being away for a full year will do -- I know one got me on my left hand, so we'll see how it is tomorrow. It generally takes 24 hours for a no see um bite to rise to its full glory on me.

Probably won't post tomorrow. Friend is having a luminaria party and then we'll be off to Ft. Lauderdale bright and early to catch the cruise about noon. Should be about a 3 hour drive over.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Love the reports---we saw several wood storks while there failry close to us (including on side of road in Ft. Myers on way bacjk to airport???) it was so great to see them...and the spoonbills as well.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Greetings. I plan to visit Sanibel Jan 1-8 and will be staying at the West Wind Inn. I'm trying to decide whether to fly down or drive from my home in North Carolina. The decision hinges largely on how necessary it is to have a car while on Sanibel. Will a rental bike suffice or is a car advisable?

Also, at the Ft. Myers airport the cheapest rental cars cost ~$80/day, which seems rather pricey. Is there any place in the area to rent a vehicle at a more reasonable rate?

Many thanks.

David

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

David -- let me suggest that you start a fresh thread with your questions, as this far down in an existing day-by-day report of my stay on Sanibel, your questions are apt to be overlooked by many. If you look at the top right of the Sanibel forum, you will see a list of frequently asked questions, with renting a car being the first. Click on the link and you will see the pros and cons. Most people believe you need a car. I'm no help on rental cars.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

Hadn't planned to post tonight, but just a quick update -- a day of tropical rain, but since it isn't summer, it's pretty cool/cold. Essentially rained out Luminary -- sometimes light rain, a few moments without rain, and lots of heavy rain. As my friend, who is a serious sheller, said tonight, "those lightening strikes certainly spooked off the shelling competitors." I'll be gone for a week, and then I'll pick back up and give you an idea of how my time on Sanibel flies by.

9. Re: Back on Island Today for a While

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:16