We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empty nest trial in April 2010

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Empty nest trial in April 2010

The empty nest days are fast approaching! We are going to take a trial trip when our youngest heads out for her Junior trip to Spain next April. The first place that came to mind was Sanibel, since we loved the family's trip down there in August 2005 (except when this little hurricane named Katrina crossed the Everglades the day we had to head out to Tampa for our flight home). We stayed at Pointe Santo on that trip, and loved the condo we were in. But the two of us won't need a place quite that big on this trip, so we've started looking at some of the smaller cottages. Many of them sound nice, and we are trying to narrow them down. We had a blast shelling last time, but the tide charts indicate that we will be there at a time of minimal low tides, so the shelling might not be the best. What are some cottage/inn/smaller condo suggestions from some of the experts here?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

My first choice would be Blue Dolphin. It is way down at the end of West gulf drive, so it is very isolated, just houses on either side. It does not have a pool, so there usually are not any kids that stay there.

Take a look at Beachview cottages, Golden beach, Sanibel Inn, Song of the Sea, and the cottages at Waterside.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

If you liked Pointe Santo and still wanted the option to have a full kitchen there are a few one bedroom units at Pointe Santo. I know one of them is represented at the VIP website.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

We recently stayed at West End Paradise and it was wonderful- especially Unit 1 which has an awesome deck over looking one of the ponds. Very quiet, no pool so take that into consideration and a short walk, bike ride or car rise to beach but nice beach. You get a full kitchen, a nice living room and screened in lanai as well. I would also look at Blue Dolphin as Mcnaught suggests think it would be lovely for a couple!

Edited: 27 December 2009, 00:32
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

Speaking as a mom, I would like to not be around kids in the beginning of my empty nesting time, simply because it might make me sad. However, as I have spanned my children out so far that I will be 57 when I am an empty nester, I may never have empty nester times, and have grandbabies with me on my trips before my last child leaves home!!!

Anyway, that is why I suggested the places that I did, they are more for people without kids in tow. Have a great time where ever you choose!

Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

Thanks for the replies. I had looked pretty hard at the Blue Dolphin before posting the original message, and am leaning toward booking there if they have any availability. But we might stick with Pointe Santo, since my wife was very happy there on our last trip. Plus, the relative isolation of the beach by the Blue Dolphin might be a negative for her, since she enjoys striking up conversations with other guests who are enjoying the island. Either way, we should have a great time hitting all the spots!

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
189 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

My husband and I stayed at Beachview Cottages in June 2009 and had a great time. We were just steps from the beach. I would describe the cottage we stayed in as an efficiency. It had a queen bed, full kitchen appliances, a small love seat and table and 2 chairs, which was just enough for us. The screened in porch in front of the cottage also had a table and chairs, so we enjoyed our morning breakfasts and a couple evening meals out there. They even have an outdoor grill at each cottage entrance. They do have larger units to choose from. There is also a pool and free use of bikes for guests. The staff was very friendly and efficient. Wherever you decide to stay I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Sanibel is our favorite vacation destination, and we've only been one time! Can't wait to get back to the island.

7. Re: Empty nest trial in April 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 05:17