We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Port St. Lucie, FL
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Hi,

I think I've narrowed it down and am going to spend our family vacation this summer (July 2010) for the first time in Sanibel. We are a family of five, two adults and 3 kids, ages 10, 6, and almost 2 (by then) and we've decided on Casa Ybel, for all the numerous reasons that have been mentioned here! Now, my question is this: cost-wise, I would prefer to stay in one of the one-bedroom suites (we are staying for a week) but is it large enough for a family of 5? We don't mind all sleeping in the same room, but is the one bedroom actually have a separation (by a door) from the kitchen and living area, or is it more of typical hotel room? The reason I'm asking is that we would be putting the little one to bed earlier in the night, and the older kids would want to watch tv, play cards, etc, and my husband and I would love to have some wine on the lanai, so I just want to make sure, before I book, that the 0ne-bedroom suite is enough room for us to do all of this. The 2-bedroom is about $40 more a night. So I guess I'm just wondering if the one-bedroom is truly a one-bedroom, or more of a one-room suite. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!!!!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

The one bedroom suites at CY are privately owned and so may differ from unit to unit. As I remember they have a separate bedroom but the kichen is part of the living room area- more of a kitchenette.

I think it would be pretty tight for a family of five looking for a little privacy. You might find a 2 BR CY bargain on their private owner's website at www.casaybel.com There is a sectrion of direct owner rentals (people selling their week) there that can save you money.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

I looked into renting one of the 1 bedroom units for a friend when we were on the Island a few years ago. Although individually owned, we were told the floor plans for the 1 bedrooms are the same, the decor is individual. Not sure if that is true because we only saw the one unit.

The bedroom was separate and did have a door for privacy from the living space. The Bedroom had 2 queen beds plus the living room area had a queen fold out couch. They advertised it as sleeping for 6.

The rooms were a little larger than typical 1 bedroom hotel suites that our family has stayed in.

There are a few listed for rent on this site with a description of the units. Scroll down to the bottom of the page under the 1 bedroom link and you will see a layout of the room, this is the same layout as the room we saw.

www.rentalmls.net/show_Unit.asp…

Having been in hotel suites with 3 kids, the extra $40 per night seems like a good deal to me just to have that extra bedroom!

Port St. Lucie, FL
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Thanks for the info!!!

After doing some more research, I think I might book a 2 bd at Beachview Cottages. Either way, I think having a 2 bedroom unit is better for us in the long run, wherever we stay. But it's between the two places, Casa Ybel and Beachview Cottages.

Thanks again!!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Beachview and CY are very different - I bet you realize that tho.

Beachview cottages are very old Florida, beachy, moderate accomodations. I personally love the places on Sanibel like this. BV gets good reviews here, many repeat customers.

Casa Ybel is a true resort, pretty upscale. Both are good choices, just different from each other.

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
189 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

My husband and I stayed in Cottage 6 at Beachview Cottages back in June 2008. It was on the order of a motel-type room - everything (except the bathroom) in one room. However, the cottage next to us had 2 separate bedrooms and the couch in the living room also folded out to a bed. One bedroom had a queen bed (I think) and the other bedroom had twin beds. There were also 2 bathrooms. We looked at this unit for future trips with our daughter and her family. Although it is the charming old Florida type cottage (which we love), it looked to be a very clean and comfortable cottage for our next family trip of 4 adults and 2 children. The screened in lanai was very spacous and had a nice sitting area with furniture. There's also a grill right outside the cottage door and free use of bikes for the guests to use. Lisa at the front desk of Beachview Cottages was a great help getting us just the right fit for our trip in 2008. Ask for her opinion. She knows her stuff.

Port St. Lucie, FL
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Sunnyvaca: Yes, I've done so much research and do realize that CY and Beachview are very different. My main reason for looking at the CY was for the kiddie pool, and kid programs, as we have 3 children. But, at $115 more a night for a 2 bd, it wasn't feasible for me to spend that just for the convenience of having a kiddie pool (we have an 18 month old). After reading reviews, I think the Beachview is just our style. We live in Florida (on the east coast) as it is, so I know exactly the "Old Florida" style. Plus, we might bring our dog, so overall, I think Beachview is for us. Matter of fact, I just booked a week there for July. Plus, alot of the reviews I read for CY stated that although it's "nice", it's almost not worth the money..not so much bang for your buck, and you have to pay extra for every little thing (bikes, chairs, etc). Thanks so much for your post!

Port St. Lucie, FL
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

Mimi, funny you wrote that about the cottage next to you, cottage #5...that's the one I booked for our vacation!!! I just did so yesterday, for a week in July. We are two adults, 3 children, and possibly our dog. I'm glad to have read you liked it and would like to stay there in the future, it makes me feel even better about my choice!

8. Re: Casa Ybel One bedroom suite question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island