We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Accommodations?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family Accommodations?

Can anyone suggest a family resort or condo that is accommodating for a family of 8 that includes a 4 year old and an 11 year old? We have been considering Sundial resort.

What about VRBO.com is this a trusted site for renting condos or should I go straight through the resort?

Thank you!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Accommodations?

I've used vrbo without issue before. Many condo owners on Sanibel privately promote their condos on vrbo and with a rental agency. I'd check both to get the best price.

Rental agencies on Sanibel - Royal Shell, VIP, Sanibel Accomodations, Resort Quest, Sanibel Holiday.

The condos I know that rent with occupancy rates of 8 are:

Shorewood

Coquina Beach

Golden Beach

Blue Gulf

Sand dollar

Blind Pass

Sundial - check occupancy rates, some 3 bedrooms only let 6 people stay. If you rent thru the resort, you have access to all amenities - meaning extra pools, tennis courts, restaurant.

Private rental here means you have access to a couple pools and tennis courts. You could buy an amenities package, I think it is around $25 daily per adult - you have to buy at least 3 days, last I checked.

Edited: 05 February 2010, 01:39
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Accommodations?

Pointe Santo (my home base) has a number of units that can accommodate 8 as well and is a good choice for families.

Also take a look at the "Vacation Rentals" tab over to the left. TripAdvisor now has a section for private owners and agencies to list their properties and one nice thing is that both owners and reviews are subject to a verification process.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Accommodations?

This sounds great, thank you for the info. Just another question out of all the condos you suggested which one is most family friendly? Thanks again!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Accommodations?

They would all be fine for families. The whole island is family friendly. There are really only 2 places that I wouldn't want to take kids, but for the rest of the island, all places are good. Pointe Santo does have a kids program, not like you find at resorts, but everyday there is an age appropriate activity for kids. Shell bingo, crafts, ice-cream sundaes, that type of thing. This is located in the club house by the pool, and cost a nominal fee.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Accommodations?

We have used VRBO several times and have always had positive experiences. The owners generally use an on-island real estate to handle check-in and check-out. They also have you contact the real estate if any problems arise while you are staying in the unit. It generally saves you a few hundred dollars over renting directly from the real estate company. We have stayed at South Seas up in Captiva and in Sand Dollar while in Sanibel. Both places are family friendly and three bedroom units in Sand Dollar can handle eight guests if you use the sleep-sofa in the living room. Good luck... enjoy.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Accommodations?

So should I contact the condo owner personally or should I be going through a real estate agent from on the Island? Sorry I have never rented from a condo owner before and I am a little nervous about it. Thank you for all the help!

Becca

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Accommodations?

Do both. Sometimes the owner offers a better deal, sometimes the agency does - shop and compare.

8. Re: Family Accommodations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:16