We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who knows the Jolly Roger??

NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Who knows the Jolly Roger??

My parents brought us to Sanibel in 1977(?) My Dad's cousin had visited years prior and had plenty of stories about the JR. I haven't seen any posts about it but I'd love to hear if you've got. My parents still head to Sanibel every year - first stop, Grandma Dots! And who won big at the hermit crab races?? and not for nothing... who remembers the diner pop-overs at Top O' the Mast?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

If you haven't already read it, I thought you might enjoy this bit of remimiscing!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k17288…

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

excuse me....but where was Top of the Mast? I do not remember it.

and Jolly Roger....isn't that at the West Wind Inn? I know the name, but can not think of where it is/was.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

We stayed at the Jolly Roger for years, great pool. I think it is now part of South Seas (Sanibel Sunset Beach Resort.

Top of the Mast was a great restaurant and bar with beautiful views of the gulf directly on the beach in Fort Myers Beach

connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

I went to the Jolly Roger for years in the late 60s, 70s, early 80s with my parents and sister. Great great memories! Remember running through the area where the soda machine was on the way back from the pool - going out to the shell hut to cook out stinky shells when live shelling was ok to do. Awesome pool. I remember playing shuffleboard with my sis and dad. I remember the Island Bake Shop and having my 10th birthday cake come from there. Remember watching sunset from the porches along the front of the JR building. I remember so many wonderful things about it - driving into the sandy parking lot and knowing we were FINALLY there from the cold northeast! btw, someone mentioned West Wind inn - they are just down the road from the Jolly but were there in the 70s as well - not the same place. Haven't been to Sanibel in a few years - can you tell I am feeling wistful!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

NOW I remember! Thanks for the memories. I never stayed there, but I remember the sign. I used to stay at the Snook/Breakers West, which is now Waterside Inn. Wasn't the Italian Restaurant Letizas in that area (I think that was the name), There were umbrella trees outside, that would shelter your from the rain during your wait. As far as sandy parking lots and driveways, back then, I think most were sand/shell drives. In fact, at one time, there was even a shell road that ran closer to the gulf than West Gulf Dr.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
486 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

I remember the top of the Mast...It was my favorite restaurant on Fort Myers Beach. Always asked for a window seat so I did not have to leave the sight of the gulf to eat. What ever happened to it?

7. Re: Who knows the Jolly Roger??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island