We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight change dilemma

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight change dilemma

HI all,

It seemed like the perfect trip:

One week, May 1-8, at Pointe Santo

4 free (air miles) direct flights into RSW

Great deal on rental car through Priceline (National).

Until the air miles travel rep called today and told me the May 1st flight had been cancelled (it was the only flight that day)! However, we can change our flight dates and/or the city we're flying into at no charge.

We figured that we could arrive as early as Thursday and then have two nights someplace before picking up our rental at RSW and heading over to Sanibel. If our kids were older (they'll be 3.5 and 9 months) we might have considered Disney World, but we're not really interested in doing that this trip.

Any ideas? I plan to call National tomorrow and see what, if anything, can be done about the car. I suspect we'll be renting a car for one or two days and then just using our Priceline rental as originally planned. I'll also call the rep and see what cities and flight times are available. What we're definitely NOT interested in doing is arriving in Tampa or Orlando on Saturday and then driving that day out to Sanibel. But it might be kind of fun to stay in a hotel someplace (maybe even Ft. Myers?) for one or two nights before heading to the island.

My head is spinning so I thought I put this out to you all folks to see if you had any ideas or advice.

Thanks!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight change dilemma

I know you said no to Tampa - but there is a cool aquarium ( Mote ) there. You could fly in, spend a couple days on Anna Maria Island, and also take in the aquarium. That way you don't have to fly and drive the same day.

I have found if you rent a car at one airport and drop it off somewhere else - not much price difference.

You could also stay somewhere else on Sanibel for two nights, there are several places that will rent for a couple days. Also check out SSR on Captiva, a fun pool area that your kids will enjoy.

Pink Shell at Ft Myers always looked fun to me also - Palmtreequeen knows a lot about the ft myers area- hopefully she will chime in.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight change dilemma

Your condo at Pointe SAnto may allow for those 2 nights. That is a quiet time, I would ask!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight change dilemma

You could spend a couple of nights south and check out the Everglades and Naples.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight change dilemma

On second thought, it would be HOT especially with the little ones so nix that suggestions. I agree that Tampa for a couple of days is a good idea. They also have a very nice zoo.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight change dilemma

If it were me I would fly in 2 days early and go to Fort Myers beach for the first two nights. Family friendly resorts for your kids that I really like would be Best Western Beach Resort or the Pink Shell. I know others exist those are just 2 that I took my kids to when they were about the same age as yours. What I like about the Best Western is they have a shaded palm tree grove right on the beach. When my kids were babies they could have a cool shaded nap (in the portable pac and play) right in the palm tree Grove while I also sat in the shade in one of the chairs provided. . A short stroller ride up the beach is the pier and shops and restaurants. Sanibel will be a short drive away.(apprx 30 - 45 mins depending on traffic).

Pink Shell has a great pool and on site restaurant.

Although if you could get t extra days at Pointe Santo I think that might even be better especially since your kids are young.

If you do decide to go the FMB route and have any more questions just let me know.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight change dilemma

I know you said that you aren't interested in Tampa but want to suggest that you might take a look at the area. It is only about 2 hours North of Sanibel and the drive is very easy, a straight shot up I-75.

A poster on the Captiva forum just asked for off island ideas the other day, we gave info on there about the Tampa area, here's the post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34481-i768-k33759…

I'd really consider flying into Tampa if you can, spending time there before heading to Sanibel and then flying back out of RSW.

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight change dilemma

Thanks so much, everyone. This advice has been invaluable!

So, after much intense discussion and Googling, my husband prefers FMB and I would choose Tampa.

In any case, the baby's napping now and I'm off to call the agent/airline to see whether there is any advantage in one city over the other. I'll update when we make our decision.

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight change dilemma

Turns out that the offer to fly us into Tampa would only be valid if we flew on our originally scheduled date. Since we don't want to fly and drive on the same day, we'll fly into RSW on Thursday. Right now we're tempted to stay at the Best Western or Pink Shell in FMB, per palmtreequeen's suggestions . . . .

I'm getting even more excited about our trip now (kind of makes me wonder why we didn't book a longer vacation to begin with).

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

9. Re: Flight change dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island