We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten-Free

Annapolis
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten-Free

My daughter has just started going gluten-free for her health issues. She eats some meats, fish, and poultry. Does anyone know of any restaurant that has a gluten-free menu or adaptable menu. We are taking her to Sanibel the second week of April and I would prefer not to cook!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten-Free

A google search for Gluten-free restaurants on Sanibel Island yields three places, the Island Cow Eatery, Mermaid Restaurant and Matzaluna-Italian Kitchen. The Island Cow was also mentioned elsewhere as offering Gluten-free meals. Since I have no personal experience with their Gluten-free meals, you may want to contact these restaurants and talk with them yourself. This may be a good starting point. Best wishes.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten-Free

I know you said you prefer not to cook, but I am giving you the Island Nutrition Store link as a place to start. I would suggest that you call them and ask if they can recommend restaurants with gluten free options. I would assume they have been asked before.

Bailey's Grocery also carries an extensive line of gluten free & organic products.

http://www.islandnutritioncenter.com/

Restaurants that I am aware of for certain that have gluten free meals are:

Matzaluna, Island Cow, Greenhouse Grill, Old Captiva House and Thistle Lodge.

Here's a link to Sanibel Restaurants Menus, I haven't gone through them, but you may be able to find gluten free advertised on a menu.

http://www.cuisine-scene.com/

Annapolis
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten-Free

Wow, you guys are great! I will call these restaurants ahead of time just to notify them of her diet concerns. You all not only are going to make her happy, but me too - I won't have to cook! Thanks!!!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten-Free

Your welcome!

Another place to add to the list, Sanibel Cafe. They hired a new chef in the fall, supposed to have many gluten free choices.

Annapolis
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten-Free

Is that the restaurant with the alligator tail breakfast on Periwinkle?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten-Free

Yep! They are on Periwinkle, in Tahitian Gardens. They also have the glass covered table tops with the shells underneath.

Looks like you might not have to cook after all!

Annapolis
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten-Free

LOL, now that is a vacation!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten-Free

Bean, I am impressed with your knowledge about the restaurants on Sanibel Island. Thanks for the good information. It sounds like you might enjoy eating out about as much as shell collecting.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten-Free

Thanks Ken!

I just happen to know about the gluten free and the vegetarian restaurants because I have one child that we went gluten free for medical reasons and one child who was a vegetarian until he ate a hot dog from Schnapper's.

And ah, I never cook dinner on vacation, too busy cleaning my shell finds!

Annapolis
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten-Free

Keep the suggestions for a gluten-free vacation coming. I am making a folder of them. Does anyone know if Pinnochio Ice Cream is gluten-free. Would love to take her there.