We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Travel: Flight out of Buffalo (wayyyy cheaper than out of Syracuse) on time , nice, direct flight. Went to pick up our rental car with National and they were out of Sienna mini vans. Other options were too small so we had to wait about 20 min. for them to quick clean one that just returned. Off to Sanibel!

Groceries: Stopped at the liquor store near Jerry’s for some beverages and stopped to say hi to the birds. Had groceries delivered through Bailey’s, so we were set for a few days.

Condo: Stayed at Sandpiper West in unit 2 again this year. Beautiful, spacious, gulf front condo. The pool is on the small side, but with only 6 units total and I believe #2 is the only rental, there is never anyone in it. The condo has a little cabana at pool level that holds all the beach chairs, beach toys, pool toys. Even has a little fridge you can keep a few things in and not have to run back up to the condo. Highly recommend if you need a 3 BDRM option. Also has a garage with garage door opener, so nice to drive right in, close proximity to elevator if you have your hands full, also great place to be able to store bikes.

Weather: Not cooperative this year!! It really was cold. We only had one day that we were comfortable in shorts, but still had to have a light jacket on. We had the heat on in the condo every day. A little disappointing, but we love Sanibel and will be back next year.

Fun Stuff: Sanibel Thriller! Definitely a must IMO. Fun ride, see tons of dolphin and learn interesting facts about the island. Saw the birds at Jerry’s and went to visit the ones at the campground (trailer park).They even have lemurs! I don’t know if they are new, but this is the 1st I have seen them . Took a drive through Ding Darling and saw a nice variety of birds, more than usual. Boys had a fishing trip with Rob McKay scheduled, but they decided to cancel because of the cold. Hopefully next year the weather will be warmer so they can go.

Shelling: I would say fairly good, but you definitely had to work for them. The surf was on the rougher side most of the week because of the wind. Going out at low tide was the easiest option even if it was at 10:00 & 11:00 at night! This was the 1st time we went out at night to shell, but what a blast we had. And we were not alone!! We just had reg. flashlights but there were people out there with headlamps on! We will definitely be better prepared next year! No junonia’s for us, we’ll keep trying!

Restaurants: Doc Ford’s- still my favorite, love the fish tacos. We had called ahead and when we got there we were taken right to our table! No wait and it was busy, nice surprise! McT’s- went here for the 1st time and had a great experience, great food, great service . Matzaluna’s- had to wait an hour!!! even with a call ahead, but still good food and service. Island Cow- After last year’s bad experience I said I would never go here again but it’s what the kiddies wanted, so we went. No change from last year and we ALL agreed this time, we would not go here again. Bad service, below average food and expensive for what you get. Grandma Dots- have not been here in years and wish now that we did! Great food, a little rushed with the service, but they’re busy for a good reason, and they have THE BEST Key Lime pie!!!

I think that’s it! We love Sanibel more every year! It really is a special place. I would consider going again another time during the year but worried about those noseeums! They would hunt me down! And finally, we managed to leave Sanpiper West #2 unscathed! :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Thanks for the report! We have the same exact taste in restaurants.

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate, that has been the norm this winter. Cold one for all of Florida.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Thanks for the trip report. I was wondering how your trip was but decided to be polite and wait patiently. I love the Sanibel Thriller too. I haven't heard much about the Sandpiper West condos..sounds really nice.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

I wish the weather had been better for you - it looks like it is warming up the end of this week.

Thanks for the report! and the reminder to dig out my headlamp!!!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Excellent trip report! Thanks! Sorry it was so cold, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Love the Sandpiper West Unit you stayed in. In fact, inquired about it a few months ago based on your praise for it!

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

Great report...sorry so cold but at least there were shells and good food:-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
407 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

cold is relative, nosun...lessee...60 degrees on Sanibel vs. what 20? in Syracuse?...piles of shells vs. piles of snow.....dolphins vs. orangemen....

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

I agree with JayDee, although the Orangemen seem to be doing fairly well right now. I am fairly passonate about three things. Two of them are shells and Duke B-ball. JayDee, we may be favoring different sides of this Wednesday’s match up, but that’s O.K. I hope that you and the Mrs. are doing well. Maybe next year we will see you two again. We would enjoy that.

Nosun, sorry about the cold weather this Feb. There may be several years in a row when the weather on Sanibel in February is wonderful and then a few years when it is just too cold. Last year in January and February the temperature alternated from very cold to very nice, and the storms brought in a lot of nice shells.

As for the Sanibel restaurants, we agree with Nosun, Doc Ford’s continues to be our favorite restaurant. Funny that you comment negatively on the Island Cow. Our family has been there only one time, about five yearsago. In addition to poor service & mediocre food, we found a women’s silver ring in a water glass. I complained to the manager, who took the water glass, but never returned to apologize or do anything else. I continue to be amazed that the place remains open. Obviously, some people must enjoy the place, but our family will never eat there again.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

You guys are right. The weather and atmosphere in Sanibel was definitely better than in Syracuse, but when you are trying to escape the cold and you go to where you are still shivering and saying brrrrrrrr, it is a little disappointing. This was our 6th time to Sanibel and other than the one year with red algae it has always been warm and beautiful. We will be back!

And jaydee, I do love those dolphin, but I'm a little partial to our Orangemen right now!! I was worried when we lost our star player last year, Johnny Flynn. But the team is managing just fine without him.

MurexKen it is amazing how crowded and popular Island Cow continues to be. Although when they can serve bad food and deliver bad service and still be busy, why change??? I thought maybe I was just being picky, glad it's not just me that feels this way.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

We've always had good service at Island Cow - we'll see next time we visit. My kids love it...

Please tell me what orangemen are.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 2/13 - 2/20

OMG sunny!! You don't know who the Orangemen are??? :) They are Syracuse University's basketball team, ranked #1 in the Big East Tourn.!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island