We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

We are on Sanibel now and want to try the "Crunchy Grouper" we have heard about. Where do they serve it and which restaurant do you think has the best?

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it. We love grouper most any way so I'm sure we'll love this.

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Thanks for the info. We understood the Sanibel Crunchy Grouper recipe used corn flakes that made it "extra crunchy"? Maybe the information we got was wrong.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

I cant' help you islandgram, with the best or the coating - I can't eat seafood.

But here is an old thread with some recommendations - Lots of recs for Grandma Dots, Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Grill.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k27842…

Maryland
Level Contributor
408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

for what its worth, Wifey-poo had Crunchy Grouper at Sanibel Grill (next to Timbers) on Tarpon Bay Road, and pronounced it very good. I prefer to be able to taste the fish, ergo, Fried, Grilled or sauteed is my preference.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Sanibel Grill and Timbers, ( both owned by the same company and right next to each other) have great crunchy grouper. I do believe it is corn flake crust. Very cruncy and good. Mesquite grilled grouper is my favorite, and Gramma Dots is the best.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Let us know where you try & what you think! I'm headed there next week & will definitely be seeking out some crunchy grouper.

How's the weather?

New York
Level Contributor
340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

We always bookend our trips to Sanibel with a fried crunchy grouper sandwich at the Sanibel Grill.

St.Paul
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Timbers/Sanibel Grill has the best crunchy grouper by far out of anywhere I've been. Timbers can be a little pricy but it's definately worth it!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Everyone has their own opinion about who sells the best crunchy grouper. My favorite is Sanibel Grill. I love the breading (and it does have a corn flake mixture). I used to have the recipe. I also like Lazy Flamingo crunchy grouper - They also have a crunchy crab cake...so good. Have a great time, it is suppose to warm up on Sunday. 80's!!!!

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

I am bringing warm weather when I arrive on Saturday!

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for Crunchy Grouper?

Thanks to all for the suggestions and information. We did Sanibel Grill for the Crunchy Grouper and it was excellent. May try Lazy Flamingo, too, for a comparison.

For those wondering about the weather: the clouds are gone and it is bright and sunny. Very high winds of last few days are slowly dying down and daytime temps of 60 and below are gradually rising. About 65 degrees in the middle of the afternoon today. Still waiting to hit 70! Bethtanya, have you got that warm weather with you?