We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

My hubby, daughter and I arrive on Sanibel next Wednesday! Yeah!

We will wait for the rest of our group to arrive Friday, poor saps. Since "the group" has all kinds of restaurant "must-do's" we are looking for a place for dinner Wednesday night. And Thursday! Here are the places we have not tried yet (or have not been to in a long, long time)....looking for opinions. My daughter, 18, is a bit of a foodie and she comes by that genetically! hahaha

The new Ellington's

Sweet Melissa's

Traders

Twilight Cafe

Any others?

Thanks, guys!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Yipeee! We had Fred come back and now we have ZIN! Can't wait for all your trip reports. Is your group as big as last year?

I would definitely do Traders, and possibly Sweet Melissa's. We tried Twilight last summer, for brunch, and really didn't like it. I seem to be in the minority though around here in that regard.

Another suggestion, Sunset Grill, or splurge and go for Mad Hatter. I really want to try Mad Hatter sometime. It has been written up in Bon Appetite before.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Hi Zin.

I think I would try one of the steak places or Traders.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

I agree with mcnaught .... Mad Hatter (1st) and Sunset Grill (#2). I would not bother with Ellington's. We have tried them twice and were greatly disappointed (2 chances is my limit! lol) Traders has a great happy hour and "Lite" bar menu ... but probably not what you're interested in for an 18 yr old! haha My husband is a chef, so we face this dilemma all the time. :-)

Enjoy!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Our group is much smaller this time! We only have 3 teens instead of the 7 we had last year! My husband and I will have our daughter (now in her 1st year of college) all to ourselves for 3 days before my sister arrives with our son and our niece. Can't wait!

We've been to Sunset Grill twice - loved it the first time NYE '07 but not as happy on our 2nd visit. Perhaps Mad Hatter....

Sunny, my daughter LOVES a great steak (apparently they don't serve them at the dining halls!) and you mentioned steak places. Any one in particular?

Sorry to hear about the less than stellar report on Ellingtons. Hubby and I had two fantastic meals there a few years back.

Life has been so crazy busy and I miss the calm and serenity of Sanibel. Can't wait to get back! I don't know if any trip can compare with the absolute joy I experienced last year with my spring break seniors but that's ok. Best to keep that one in the record book as "best ever". I will be happy to report back with any items of interest!

Even though I'm not around on a regular basis, I do love this forum. You guys are the best!

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Glad to hear you are returning to Sanibel and we can look forward to another trip report. The last one was wonderful ! It inspired me to try to capture some special moments with my d-i-l when we went together in January. AFA restaurants, my husband and I enjoyed Il Tesoro very much. The waiter was a bit snobbish but the food was delicious. One word of caution: be sure to question the price of their "specials" unless money is not an option to you (money is ALWAYS a factor to me). Hope you and yours have a great trip. Soooooo jealous.

New York
Level Contributor
340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

zinfandel, I would also suggest that you look into The Timbers and Doc Fords.

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Old Captiva House. It is at "Tween Waters and is very nice. Good menu, your daughter will find a good steak there. We found it to be our favorite over others such as Timbers, Key Lime, etc...

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

Zin - Beachview or Sanibel Steakhouse. I haven't been to either, but both menus look really good to me.

www.cuisine-scene.com

I've also had a great steak at Island Cow and a terrible one at Mucky Duck.

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

If you're looking specifically for a steak, I had a great filet at Jacaranda in October and again in January. Also, they have coupons available on Restaurant.com.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On our way in a week...dinner ideas?

I made a ressie for the Mad Hatter for our 2nd night with our college girl and now just need to decide on our first night!

Jake - we love Doc Fords (especially the mojitos!) and it has been awhile since we've been to TImbers so that's a thought.

dad - we have been to Old Captiva House once and really liked it. Another good thought!

marslady - Hey! Too bad you couldn't get the girls to Sanibel; my kids want to see that HP theme park as well. I don't get it. My daughter loves college and I know what you mean about the emotional see-saw of letting them go/pushing them out the door. Will for sure ask for that window seat and We'll have hubby drop us in front and then go park! And you can count on me enjoying that glass of zin on the beach at sunset.

sunny - we LOVED the Beachview. I think we'll save that for when the whole gang arrives. Never been to Sanibel Steakhouse - that's another splendid idea!

hotforsanibel - we also have had good luck at The Jac and plan to go there with the larger group. I will definitely look for those coupons.

My copy of Randy Wayne White's latest (released yesterday) arrived via UPS today - gotta love Amazon! A trip would not be complete without him along...oh I can hardly wait to get there!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take any additional ones you come up with!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island