We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations.

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations.

I'm looking for good restaurant recommendations for a solo traveler. Some place that I won't feel too out of place being alone. I like a good seafood selection and an inexpensive to moderate price with a casual atmosphere.

I've been to a couple restaurants on Captiva, The Mucky Duck, and another casual place down the street from there, but I'm staying on the west end of Sanibel and not as familiar with what is in that area.

Any suggestions? I'll take suggestions on where NOT to go as well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

We all have our favorites, Doc Fords is mine. Their Yucatan shrimp is my favorite. I like spicy food, and it has enough of a kick to satisify but not too much.

Sanibel grill is good too, Timbers is it's sister restaurant, but more expensive than Sanibel grill and they use the same kitchen. So you can get yummy cruchy grouper at the Grill cheaper than at Timbers.

Gramma Dots is good too for seafood. Go at lunch and you will save money.

Here is a link to view the menus at most of the restaurants on Sanibel and Captiva.

http://www.cuisine-scene.com/

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

I agree on both Doc Ford's and the Sanibel Grill. Both places are active and a solo traveler will feel comfortable. The Sanibel Grill is probably better for people watching while you have a meal.

As far as Timbers is concerned; yes, it's the same ownership as Sanibel Grill but a huge difference in attitude. I've been eating at Timbers since they were at the location that now houses Doc Ford's. The last time I visited their current location we had a bad meal and a worse experience. I'm a pretty easy going guy having spent my life in retail. But this was beyond bad. I won't go back under any conditions.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

Locals will be found eating at the counter bar at Matzaluna (Italian with some very good seafood) for happy hour and the specials also the bar at Jacarando for happy hour specials. Definitely consider Sanibel Grill and Lazy Flamingo and Trader's has a bar menu that's very, very good (not extensive though).

United States
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

Amy's Over Easy Cafe has a great breakfast. I see many people solo there. I agree on Doc Ford's and McT's. I love McT's all you can eat boiled shrimp. All I above I would not feel funny going it solo. I do a lot of dining alone so I dont even notice others that are single.

I love to take my books or magazines and just enjoy the food and atmosphere.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

tallgal - i've traveled extensively solo, I can't think of a place on Sanibel I wouldn't be comfortable eating alone. You could also order take out from most restaurants. Not mentioned yet are Sanibel Bean - B,L,D, ice cream and coffee drinks, internet access. Sanibel Deli and Coffee Factory has nice breakfast items and sandwiches for lunch. Jerry's grocery has a little dinner where you can get inexpensive meals - counter service, tables and booths.

Restaurants down the street from Mucky Duck are Key Lime Bistro and RC Otters.

6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:17