We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

Sadly, we aren't going to be able to go all the way to Sanibel this summer because we don't have childcare for very long (our son has cerebral palsy). The closest beach area to Ohio that I could think of is Virginia Beach. I've never been there. I'm guessing that it's nothing like Sanibel. What's it like? Any ideas for other beach areas up here?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

Hidey!

VB is pretty built up, commercial - not anything like Sanibel. You might look at the Outer Banks or Hilton Head, tho further south. We've rented a condo at Sea Pines, Hilton Head, it was beautiful. Nice beaches, great little marina, good restaurants, bike paths, etc. I would go there again.

http://www.seapines.com/

We didn't rent from the resort, we used vrbo - as always, check both for the best price.

I also love OBX, it seems more natural to me, while HH seems scripted. Nothing wrong with either, gotta love any good beach.

You might also be interested in Dr Beach's 2010 best beach report that just came out:

http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.htm

Trip Advisor also has a Beach forum that might be helpful to you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12289-Beach_Va…

Good luck! Give that little guy a hug from his Sanibel fans.

Edited: 30 May 2010, 15:51
Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

How far is Charleston from you? Isle of Palms is quite lovely and my second favorite place for a Sunny Vacation! If it is close enough and you'd like more info let me know. Sorry you cannot get to Sanibel this year!

OMG I was busy looking at a map to see - post and a miracle has happened...;-)

Edited: 30 May 2010, 15:53
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

I'd say the Outer Banks will best unless you like built up boardwalk then I'd go for Rehobeth or Ocean City MD. Two differnt types of holiday, but both have their pluses and minuses.

Or go north to Cape Cod, Nantucket. Very Sanibel like in that is where Sanibel loving northeasters go in Summer ;-)

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

My husband, who lived in Maryland a long, long time ago says to look at Chincoteague Island. It is very beautiful and although the beaches may be more crowded than Sanibel and won't have the shells, it still has a very nice natural feel. He thought it would be a reasonable choice.

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

hey hideyho,

Our family used to go to Emerald Island NC before we switched to Sanibel probably 25 years ago. I looked at aerial photos and it looks like they put up a few ~10 story hotel/condos but most of it still looks like houses and shorter condos. It's a barrier island like Sanibel but its missing the multiple natural areas, tropical vegetation, and probably the variety of shopping & restaurants. It wasdefinately family friendly.

Fred

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

I would second the recommendation for Cape Cod or the beaches of Southern New England. Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Block Island all are islands if you need that feel of being surrounded by water. A whole different atmosphere than Sanibel but unique areas in their own right. The Jersey Shore is also a possibility. These places may be closer for you to get to than NC and SC depending on where you are in OH. Summer is their high season so rates will reflect that and it will be more crowded. Check the forums for some of these locations for indepth info.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

Ok, who can say ' Hey Hideyho ' three times fast?? hee hee

I am writing down all these places to visit - i've googled many of them. Great information, guys.

But I can't believe, hideyho, that I forgot Michigan! You are so very close to some of the best freshwater beaches ever. From South Haven to ' Up North', Michigan has miles upon miles of beautiful beaches on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Amazing sand dunes, quaint towns, lush wilderness all are here - look at South Haven, Grand Haven, Frankfort, Empire, Traverse City, Petosky, Harbor Springs.

Lots of inland lakes where you can rent a cottage on a crystal clear shallow lake - Torch Lake ( where Kid Rock cruised by me in his boat last summer, I almost fell off the dock ) is a good one.

Pure Michigan has a great website promoting the state:

michigan.org/Things-to-Do/…

Edited: 31 May 2010, 01:03
Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

Hey it's HideyHo! You guys are THE BEST!! Thanks so much. I knew I could count on you, Sunny Vacay and friends!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

I also was also going to suggest Chincoteague Island on the Eastern shore of Virginia. The neighboring Island of Assateague Island is a National Wildlife Refuge, remember a good portion of Sanibel is a National Wildlife Refuge.

You probably will want to avoid going to Chincoteague during the weekend of the "pony" roundup (third Thursday in July, I think). The volunteer fire department rounds up the small wild horses that inhabit Assateague Island, then auction some of them off so that there is not a problem with too many horses on Assateague. If you are familiar with the old children's story book, "Misty of Chincoteague," this might be of interest to you.

My second recommendation is the Outer Banks, try the area near Corrolla or Duck.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any places near Virginia Beach for a Sanibel-lover?

And Tim Allen, Mars... I love his voice on those Pure Michigans ads, so soothing. Reminds me why I live here.

Hidey - easy to take a road trip thru Michigan. Start on the West coast and head north. Take the ferry to Mackinaw Island, stay at a victorian inn, take your little bambino on a horse and buggy ride around the island. There are plenty of inns and hotel/motels all over the state, you can usually find an opening somewhere.

The Great Lakes are incredible!

Edited: 31 May 2010, 22:45