We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees off Point Santo

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas city
Level Contributor
614 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Manatees off Point Santo

There were three maybe four manatees today straight out from the volley ball net. They stayed for about 40 minutes, and wove in out of the swimmer's. Then they would submerge, and reappear a little ways away. Next thing you know they would be swimming right under your feet again. Getting bumped in chest deep water by an animal as big as they are gets your attention real quick the first time. They had quite a crowd before they sailed on. Are they normaly off the Island this time of year?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

That was a very special experience for you. If you were able to take some pictures, please post them so that the rest of us can see. Yes, manatees are around Sanibel year round, although they tend to seek out warmer water in the winter, such as near springs or power plants. In any case, they are frequently seen along the bay side of Sanibel/Captiva: Tarpon Bay, Blind Pass, Jensen's, http://vimeo.com/11701647 , etc. In my experience, they tend to stay in relatively protected water with grasses to eat. I have not personally seen them on the gulf side of Sanibel. Since Point Santo is 4-5 miles from the Light House, they had to swim quite a distance. Perhaps others have seen manatees on the gulf side of Sanibel many times, but that is unusual in my experience.

kansas city
Level Contributor
614 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Sorry, the camera was in the condo, and my daughter was in the water so I stayed with her. I didnt realize they were manatess at first as I was several yards away. I thought I saw a dolphin where a couple of people were getting excited, and then I saw a large shadow shape in the water go flying the other direction. I first thought some fool was trying to pet a dolphin like the last time we where here. Camera was the last thing on my mind.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Great experience! I have heard of manatees in the Gulf in the summer months - some have mentioned it on here before.

It might have caused me to pass out, however....

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
115 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Last week, on our trip, my in-laws saw a manatee off Pointe Santo as well. Father-in-law was swimming, wasn't sure what it was at first, dolphin or shark or ... and then he got a good luck at it and figured it out. They were floored, and we were jealous.

North Huntingdon
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

A couple years ago my husband was swimming with a manatee in the shallow surf of Ft. Myers. It was the same time that we were on the fishing pier at Ft. Myers and we looked down and saw hundreds of stingrays swimming under the pier. It was like seeing 300 greenish dishes float just under the surface of the water. We always stay on Sanibel and hardly ever see any water life but we always see something when we skip over to Ft. Myers. I hate leaving the island but it's a nice change sometimes. We'll be done at Sanibel next week for a 8 days of paradise! Can't wait. I was looking forward to trying Biddles Bucket. We have been going for 17 years now to Sanibel and never have we seen the place and I just saw a post about it this morn and I told my husband about it and now it's gone, how sad. Biddles happens to be my Wii Avitar. lol.

I guess our new places to eat next week will have to be Grandma Dot's and Lazy Flamingo. I hear they are good. I hope?? I'll let everyone know what it is like next week. I guess I need to know what places have Wifi so I can use the lap top on the island because our condo does not have it. Any ideas as where I can go to use the computer? Thanks

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Great story! It reminds me of the time I was floating on a raft off of Pointe Santo and was circled by a dolphin. Quite an experience!

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

When my hubby and I were on Sanibel in October, a manatee got very close to the DH while he was fishing out in the water at Blind Pass. He initially was afraid it was a shark and backed toward the shore, then realized it was a manatee. I guess he startled the manatee and it swam away. Too bad. I'd enjoy a "close encounter" with a manatee or dolphin, but "Jaws", stay away!

kansas city
Level Contributor
614 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Annie do you wear polarized sunglasses? I buy a cheap ten dollar pair from Walmart, they work good at takeing the glare off the road when driving, and let you also see down into the water a lot bettor. I constantly see things in the water no one else knows is there. At the pier today where my daughter caught two snapper, two blades, and a gag grouper in an hour and a half, I could see tons of fish swimming in and out of the bait schools. One tarpon, several rays, lots of Dolphins, and one Manatee.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 21:26
Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

They have been going up and down the gulf on West Gulf since it has warmed up....They have swam up our family also while a family volley was going on in the water. They have also came right up to our boat out in the Bay. They are curious and come up to noises. We have seen them in May many years and very close to shore in October. I think most people miss them becuase of shelling, reading etc etc. Just stare out ino the gulf and you will all kinds of activity. Jumping fish, diving birds, dolphin, stingrays and yes manatees if your lucky :) Even seen a gator a time or two, and a baby sea turtle.

The snook have been swiming right next to the shore...as well as other big fish. Polaroid really helps. Without I don't see them. They don't have to be expensive....cheap polaroid fishing glasses are what we get for the beach.

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Manatees off Point Santo

Sanibel Bean (coffee shop) has wifi. You can also take your laptop to the Sanibel library (or use their computers).

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island