We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil Spill volunteer information

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
478 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Oil Spill volunteer information

Last week the beaches on Sanibel and Captive were beautiful. I found myself thinking "what if the oil comes this way?" What can I do to help? These are some things that I found interesting and thought were worth sharing.a

According to an article in the Fort Myers Coastal Angler written by Stan Manly, "If you want to be on the front lines, you will have to take the new 6 hour OSHA training being offered. And, you will have to be hired by BP; they will not be allowing any volunteers to work directly in cleanup efforts. As an employee, you are covered by their insurance, volunteers are not. They are constantly updating the OSHA training schedule at pecpremier.com"

The same article also mentioned the main website to check is www.volunteerflorida.org. I think this has been mentioned on the forum before.

additional sites:

www.mote.org/oilresponse

www.mote.org/oilsignup

www.mote.org/oildonation

www.mote.org/meera

www.4reef.org

rReport oiled shoreline or request volunteer information 866-448-5816

volunteer your vessel as a vessel of opportunity to help clean up the spill 281-366-5511

report oiled wildlife 866 557 1401

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oil Spill volunteer information

Thanks PTQ1...

I have started thinking monetary contributions to area groups like SCCF or CROW, MOTE might be a good way to go - they might rather have the money it would cost me to fly down and stay for 2 weeks, then another volunteer who can only help for limited hours.

Just another thought on the matter. Thanks for the info!

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oil Spill volunteer information

There was OSHA training today - two sessions - at South Seas. By time I found out about it and called, it was already booked solid. They took my name for the next class, which is supposed to be in July sometime.

It should be noted that OSHA does a safety training. This is not about how to rescue animals. It's about taking the precautions necessary when handling a toxic substance so you minimize the risk of health hazards to yourself and others.

Tink *~*~*

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oil Spill volunteer information

Speaking of monetary donations, found a list this morning of charities involved in the Gulf that "meet the corporate responsibility agency's Wise Giving Alliance's Standards for Charity Accountability" according to the US Better Business Bureau. The thirteen charities are linked on Lifehacker -

http://tinyurl.com/37u93wx

Tink *~*~*

4. Re: Oil Spill volunteer information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 06:17