We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review July 2010

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Trip review July 2010

I just go back from my first trip to Sanibel Island and can't wait to go back!

We Stayed at the Beachview Cottages for 3 nights with our 2 dogs and were really satisfied. I loved the towel service, you put your dirty towels out and they give you a bag of clean ones on your porch. They never enter your room so with dogs that is nice. They are painting on all of the units and they look great.

The shelling was amazing. We met an oceanographer that said there were more live whelks and sand dollars then he had seen in 25 years of coming to the island. We spent lots of time helping the live ones get back into the sea. The water was calm and I floated in my Tube watching Pelicans most of the time during the day. We used the free bikes to ride the Bailey Tract but didn't see anything.

Now for the food. The first night we ate at Doc Fords because it was close. We had the Grouper fingers for starters and that could have been enough for a meal. My wife had a fish sandwich that was pretty good and I had fish tacos that were wonderful. All in all a good place with a good menu and we would go back. We ate at the Over Easy for breakfast. The food was good, service ok, would go back but nothing special. We went to the Green Flash for dinner and it was good. We both had the seafood sampler all really good and they make really stiff drinks. After dinner at the Flash we went to the Bubble Room to get dessert. We took home a slice of the Orange Crunch cake and a piece of Key lime pie, The Cake was the best thing we ate on the Island and I will try other flavors next time. The next day we went to the Lighthouse Cafe for a great breakfast. Great Pancakes for me, and my wife had great omelet. The homemade strawberry preserves reminded me of my grandma's when I was a kid and is a must return. At dinner we went to the Lazy Flamingo and had Garlic Bread and Peel and eat shrimp. I love the atmosphere and would go back. After dinner we went to The Sanibel Scoop, but I wish we would have went to Pinnochio's instead. Overall a relaxing trip, we only had 3 nights so we spent most of the days on the beach, but in the future I want to see the Ding and take a boat like the Thriller or Sunset Cruise.

Overall I loved our cottage, loved the beach, the nature and relaxing feel of the island. I look forward to going back to try new thing, see more live whelks and have some Orange Crunch cake.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review July 2010

Oh Man! You had to talk about Orange Crunch Cake, didn't you .... my absolute favorite dessert ever. Just da bomb.

I love Beachview Cottages, they are so quaint and the people that work there are the best. Happy you had a great time, thanks for the report!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review July 2010

rodneyj, thank you so much for such an informative TR. I must try the Lighthouse Cafe when we go back, as I keep hearing good reports about them. Which Lazy Flamingo did you visit? That garlic bread must be awesome ... hear so much about it! Glad you enjoyed Doc's ... that is my favorite restaurant on the Island!

Which cottage were you in at Beachview? When we checked it out, the lady at the front desk was so nice! Hope you will get back for a longer visit soon!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip review July 2010

The Orange Crunch Cake is reason enough to go back.

Thanks for taking the time to Trip Report!

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip review July 2010

Arbella we were in cottage #4 and we were at The Lazy Flamingo onPeriwinkle. the front desk was so nice, I walked out with a huge smile and new I made the right choice.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip review July 2010

Great report....

I''ve never had the Orange Crunch Cake, but now I'm hungry LOL I stayed with my family at Beachview Cottages on our very first trip there 36 years ago and have never been back for some reason as an adult! I have the fondest memories as a 7th grader. There were lots of Live Welks this trip in May.....I did alot of saving as well. So beautiful!

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip review July 2010

Thanks for your trip report - my first trip to Sanibel was spent at the Beachview Cottages too. I think we were in #11???? - a two bedroom unit. We loved the location and I was totally hooked on the island from that point forward. Glad you had a great time!

Tink *~*~*

PS - another fan of the Orange Crunch Cake!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip review July 2010

Love the orange crunch cake. It's one of those things I wish I had never tried because now I have to include it on every visit. Great trip report!

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip review July 2010

I'm not very big on dessert, but I'm gonna have to try that cake my next visit. Everyone raves about it. I also want to try Lighthouse Cafe. On our trips, we usually do a very light breakfast in our room, but generally do one "brunch" at Over Easy. Maybe we'll try Lighthouse next time. Thanks for the great trip report.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
182 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip review July 2010

Thanks for the first-timer report. Due to your post I have put Orange Crunch Cake on our "to eat" list for our first trip in August. Glad you had a great time.

10. Re: Trip review July 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:18