We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

This is such sad news for all of Sanibel.

Sanibel Mayor Issues Statement on Passing of Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey

Upon notification of the passing of Mr. Sam Bailey, a Sanibel Icon and long-time Chairman of the Sanibel Historical Preservation Committee, Sanibel Mayor Kevin Ruane issued the following statement:

"Sanibel was forever changed by Sam Bailey's life and Sanibel will never be the same with Sam Bailey's passing."

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

Very sad, i'm sorry to hear this news.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

Sanibel wll not be the same without Sam Bailey.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

We met Sam Bailey the very first time we visited Sanibel. He happened to be in the store when we were shopping for groceries for our stay. Sam personally helped us load the groceries into the trunk. He was incredibly sweet and welcoming. He gave my kids packs of gum and wished us a wonderful vacation.

We found out later, that we had met THE SAM BAILEY!

We saw him in the store a handful of times since that first encounter and every time I saw him, my heart would skip a beat. You just don't find all around good guys like that any more. Except for my husband of course, who has put up with my secret crush on Sam Bailey for all these years.

Walking back into Bailey's without the possibility of seeing Sam ....is going to be hard. We'll miss you Sam.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

I first met Sam Bailey in 1961. Our family had come over to Sanibel on the ferry and had checked into the old Sanibel Cottages. We drove back to the only store on the island, Bailey's General Store. It was a wooden-sided, two-story older building on the bay side (with its own dock), at the end of Bailey Road (no surprise there). We picked up some food/supplies and purchased a five gallon bottle of water (with a deposit for the large glass bottle/dispenser), which we used for drinking water, since the well water on Sanibel tasted so bad. Sam Bailey was at the cash register and checked us out. As a ten-year-old boy, I remember Sam Bailey as a tall, thin, older man, but then every adult seemed tall and older to me. As the years have gone by we occasional saw him at Baileys or at one of the few community events we attended, as visitors. Although I got older, Mr. Bailey never seemed to change. Just my perspective. Over the years Sam Bailey and the entire Bailey family have been most generous to the people of Sanibel Island.

Bean, thanks for sharing your personal memories of Mr. Bailey. Perhaps others will also share their memories of him. I hope so.

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

No regular visitor of the island can think of Sanibel without remembering the generosity and acts of kindness shown by the Bailey family, and Mr. Sam in particular. He will be sorely missed by all. I, too, will feel a touch of sadness when I return to the store on future visits, but I'm sure his loving spirit will continue to embrace Sanibel in the days and years ahead. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

hotforsanibel

Kudos, same sentiment here.

The Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

I read the article about Mr. Sam Bailey with great interest, and a touch of sentimentality for a man I had never met, a time I had not the privilege of being a part of.

The original settlers of Sanibel Island, the Bailey family, the memories and stories associated with Sanibel, is what makes this small island so unique and dare I say, precious, to the American experience.

The iconic nature of the history , the rich tapestry interwoven throughout the decades, is what brings so many people from all parts of the country to Sanibel , to get a taste of the Florida that was , and is, today,in preservation and respect for nature.

I have been a visitor to Sanibel, but it is my great hope and dream , to one day , be a resident .

Thank you to the Bailey family, and to all that have made Sanibel the treasure that it is.

sanibel island
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

It seems like the end of an era with Sam Bailey's passing. I'm positive, for the rest of our lives when we are on the island be remembering stories and talking about what he did for Sanibel. Great man.

9. Re: Sanibel Icon Mr. Sam Bailey has passed away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island