We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

So my local airport started offering flights to Ft Myers. I've never been to the gulf side of Florida period, either has my wife. We are approximately 30 years old.

I started reading aboutt Sanibel Island. A few questions:

1. Is there easy way to drive from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel Island?

2. Is there anything to do on Sanibel or nearby like restaurants or bars?

3. Is the island good fo rwalking/ swimming?

4. Any additional ifno would be great!

Thanks!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

1. Easy drive, about 30 minutes from airport to the island. Toll of $6 for the causeway to the island.

2. Lots of great restaurants and bars on the island.

3. Walking, sure, swimming, of course, but depends on time of year. From MI, you can swim a lot longer than I can.

4. Decent shopping. Good shelling. Do the trolley tour and kayak tour of Ding Darling. Do the Sanibel Thriller.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

If you have not done so yet look at upper right corner on more info on Sanibel and top questions and you will get lots of info. I ma not sure the time of year you want to go but II am from Michigan originally and now live in Maine and have been in the gulf in April and November and found it very warm...it never gets that warm here so I am thinking you may be fine in the water.

sanibel island
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

You can walk for miles on the beach and not get bored. There is so much to see- shells, dolphin, shells, shore birds, shells, beautiful blue water, shells... sorry, I'm a little biased. Sanibel is the perfect place to ride bikes during the day for shopping, lunch and to the beach. Traders is an island favorite for dinner or Jacaranda for live band. Have fun!

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

I'm sure this topic is exhausted, but is the oil all gone or did it never even reach Sanibel?

Also, the $6 to cross the causeway, is that every single time you cross? What if we wanted to cross back and forth 5 days in a row?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

It's $6 each time you come onto the island; no toll on the way off. There are no volume discounts unless you are a full time resident.

The oil never came close to Sanibel thankfully. The currents would have taken any oil south towards the Keys but I don't believe they experienced any problems either.

W. Milton, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

you won't want to leave the island, there is NO need. when we go, the only time we cross the bridge to leave is when we're heading home. the island has everything you need, it is the most beautiful place i can think of in florida. if you are outdoors people like me and my family, you can never get enough. between the fishing, shelling, bike riding, beaching, fishing, kyaking, fishing, shelling (throwing that in there again for my wife and daughter who spend hours looking for shells while me and the boys fish), you won't believe how fast a day can pass.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

There are also several museums/visitor centers to occupy you should you get tired of shelling and biking, etc. Or have a rainy day. There's a wonderful shell museum, a wildlife rehabilitation visitor center, Ding Darling refuge's visitor center, a historical museum with restored buildings from Sanibel's past, the SCCF conservation area visitor center....

On a more cultural note, Big Arts has galleries and performances for your cultural side. And can't forget the Schoolhouse Theatre. Sanibel has a great library with a free shell collection to look at and many fast internet computers if you don't come with your own. And lots of art galleries all over the island. (The 40 percent that isn't preserved conservation land, that is.)

We rarely go off-island. You can get most everything you need on-island.

Have a great trip.

8. Re: Newbie to Sanibel Island, possibly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:52
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island