We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for help with lodging

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KC
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for help with lodging

I posted before asking for general guidance, now that I've read a bit more, I think I've at least narrowed down what we are looking for. :)

We will be in Sanibel in the middle of May----can't wait!! I'm a huge beachlover, and this will be our kids first trip to the ocean! (5 and 8 years old). We've never been to Sanibel. Here is what we are hoping for

-something beach front with a pool

-relatively close to activities, but this is not essential, we'd drive a bit if we found a good place to stay!

-someone who will accept at 5-6 night stay.

-something really nice....we don't travel much, so we want this to be really special.

-a kitchenette so we could cook in b-fast/lunch.

Thanks so much for your guidance and info!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for help with lodging

You should be able to find a good condo in May, that will accept a mid week rental. Some of the complexes have associations that won't take less than sat - sat, but aside from that you should have luck.

Beachfront - Oceans Reach and a couple buildings in Sundial are the closest to the beach you can get.

Other good options Pointe Santo, Villa Sanibel, Sayana, Blue Gulf, Compass Pointe and Loggerhead Cay. There are plenty of condos, to many to mention, so just a starting point.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for help with lodging

Most condo rentals are Friday to Friday or Saturday to Saturday and especially if your dates fall within those days you will likely find that the cost for a condo weekly rate (even if you only stay five or six nights) will be the same or less than renting by the night.

Even in complexes with a "seven night minimum" will allow renters to rent for less than seven nights; the stipulation is that there can only be a new rental every seven days meaning that the unit should remain vacant for the part of the week that is unused.

Any of the complexes that sunnyvaca mentioned are fine. I put a plug in for our own Pointe Santo (where we have a unit) as it has a children's activity program which is a plus for families with younger kids.

Kansas
Level Contributor
149 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for help with lodging

We enjoy the Sanibel Arms and Sanibel Arms West. They are great condos w/kitchens and pools. You can walk right off the grounds to the beach. As for needing a 5-6 night stay, it's true that most places rent weekly but if you check out www. vrbo.com for Sanibel then you will deal w/the owners directly and not the condo management. And you might find some that are willing to give you a good rate for 5-6 nights. But you might just find that it's cheaper to rent for 7 nights then pay 5 individually.

Good luck. You and your children will love Sanibel. It's a beautiful clean and unique community. We have a blast there.

England
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for help with lodging

We have been in May(midweek) and stayed at Oceans Reach for less than 7 Days and found them to be very accomodating to our needs. Very nice condo complex and right on the beach. www.oceansreach.com

Also stayed at Shalimar in their motel type efficiencies which should be all you need. Again righr on the beach and nice pool too. www.shalimar.com

Lots of other great spots as has been mentioned and May should be good for discounts as well.

KC
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for help with lodging

Which of these are located in an area that would be less crowded? I know May typically won't be too crowded.

central Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for help with lodging

Another vote for Sanibel Arms West...we've visited there 3-4 times, even the non ocean front condos are very nice. Have stayed in the H & I buildings. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for help with lodging

Emily - all of the places previously mentioned won't have crowded beaches. Sanibel has limited density and there are no high rises on the island, so even in high season on the busiest of the beaches is nothing like most beach areas. You and your children will love the gentle beaches of Sanibel!

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for help with lodging

I highly recommend vrbo.com #120059 if available. I believe the women is Kim, such a nice family. We rent from them every year (you can tell her Kate told you) anyway it is on the beach with a nice pool, bbq grills and is a two bedroom condo. The resort is Loggerhead Cay. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for help with lodging

katilady - are you the same person as wckate? Because you're both promoting the same condo, declaring you aren't getting a kick back, are from Chicago and telling us to say Kate sent you.

Here's some advice. Read up on TA's rules for multiple screen names. And tell your friend at Loggerhead Cay to pay for advertising, it's also against the rules here to self promote.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for help with lodging

Wow yes I am the same don't know why it comes up two different ways. And I have never been treated so rude on Tripadvisor. I am only making suggestions and I don't get any benefit from where people stay. I personally own two condos in Orlando area myself. I am only trying to help not get "free advertising" I wonder if you treat everyone making personal recommendations on here the same, if you do you are giving this wonderful site a bad name. Keep your rude comments off line or PM people. That which we bring into the lives of others comes back into our own.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island