We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

Will be visiting the area in late March for the first time. Would appreciate any suggestions for lodging. Prefer condo but may also look at hotels. Definitely want Gulf Front and would like beach setup/chair and bicycles if possible with rental.

Also, how does the beach/water compare to that of Destin?

What's the difference between Captiva, Sanibel and Ft. Myers Beach areas in terms of restaurants, nightlife, beaches, things to do, etc?

ANY information is appreciated!!

Thank you!

Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

Any info I have won't be much but if you want nightlife then it's Ft. Myers Beach. It won't be Captiva or Sanibel Island. It's just different...that's the best I can tell you. Destination Experts will be weighing in soon....hang on!

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

This may be of some interest to you. I've stayed many times in the condo right next to this one. I've had contact with the owner of this unit and he has been very helpful and I think I'm going to stay at his condo this fall when we return to Sanibel. It's Pine Cove which is just at the gulf end of Tarpon Bay Road.

http://www.vrbo.com/221812

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

deb - are you looking for nightlife, quiet, or somewhere inbetween? And for how many people?

I would say Ft Myers if you want night life, as Ralph said. Sanibel if you want low key, with good restaurant choices. Captiva for the inbetween - live music at several restaurants, and everything is pretty much walking distance.

There are so many lodging choices on Sanibel, it is hard to narrow it down without more info - amenities wanted, how many people and ages, etc. Only a few places have beach chair set up and bikes - Sundial, Holiday Inn, Sunset beach Resort and Casa ybel. Sundial and Casa Ybel are the resorts on the island, with CY being the most upscale.

There are two resorts on Captiva, Tween Waters and South Seas Resort.

I have not been to Destin, but I have seen a friend of mine's pictures from there - Sanibel is pretty different. You will not find the white sand beaches here, the beach is fairly covered in shells and left in the natural state, as much of the island is a nature preserve. The gulf also could be clear or more brown, depending on how the wind and wave action affects the sand bars off shore.

Captiva's beach is more clear, with less shells and the water is usually very clear.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

I highly recommend Sanibel Island, we go every year and we love it. No highrises or big city feel.

If you have any questions I can help you with, please feel free to Private Message me.

I fully recommend vrbo #120059 in Loggerhead Cay. We have rented from this family several times. The units are on the beach, not across the street from the beach and the pool area never seems crowded. It is a nice location on not a bad drive to anything. The women is Kim McCoy and the family is super nice and easy to deal with. You can tell her Kate sent you and I am sure you will get a fair price. It is a two bedroom condo, very nice.

Please let me know if I can help further and I hope you enjoy your vacation where ever you decide to go.

5. Re: VRBO Condo Suggestions for Couple - March 31-April 7? HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 06:17