We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Island in Spring time

New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Island in Spring time

Hi I am in my 40s and thinking of traveling solo to Florida. I am looking at possibly Sanibel Island. I would appreciate your advice and tips on best reasonably price hotels to stay at. I would like to go scuba diving and was curious if there was other experiences other than the beach on Sanibel Island.

I was wandering if there is public transportation into Fort Meyers and if so what is there to see in Fort Meyers? What are some recommendations for night life in Sanibel Island.

Appreciate all your advise. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Island in Spring time

Denise...just curious...Are you already a P.A.D.I. certified scuba diver or are you saying you would like to try scuba diving for the first time? Sanibel is not primarily known for scuba although it offers a variety of other water activities. And, while there are many appealing restaurants, Sanibel is not high on the list of places that offer a thriving "night life" either. (From my point of view).

I don't want to give the wrong impression. Lots of us love Sanibel for a variety of reasons and you may find that you would love it, too. However, if scuba and some active places to go in the evenings are your top priorities, it's just possible that you may find the panhandle or maybe even Key West would offer you more of both. My son did his initial snorkeling and, later, open water dives with one of several dive operators in the panhandle / Destin area. Probably more going on in the evenings up there as well....

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Island in Spring time

Not to scare you away from Sanibel, its a GREAT island....low rise condo's and a few small hotels, quiet beaches, bike trails, etc. I wouldn't put it on the night life map, there are a few restaurants that have music and bars, however even those are pretty quiet. Check with Adventures in Paradise for some activities, there are several bike rentals (26 miles of trails) and for hotels try Sanibel Collection (5 hotels linked together, all a little different), they could help with experiences as well.

40 and solo, you might look into Naples, FL as well. Much more of a nightlife, shopping, art, etc ( south 5th st), hotels are close to both downtown (old naples) and beach area. Different type of vacation, probably more overall to do.

You can't go wrong with either, just depends on what you want to do more of??

Good luck

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Island in Spring time

I had an afterthought, Denise. Perhaps you already know this....

If scuba...(whether you are already certified or are interested in diving courses) is a top priority for you, I suggest you Google "diving Pennekamp State Park". That is definitely where I would go (Florida Keys) if I were either a beginner or an experienced diver. If you are new to diving, they probably even have "resort courses" followed by instructor accompanied open water dives. That's what I did in Cozumel, Mexico for my one and only scuba experience!

Broad variety of accommodations ranging from bare bones to luxury down there as well as more options for "night life".

Hope you find JUST the right spot that meets your interests.

4. Re: Sanibel Island in Spring time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island