We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hope my eyes are deceiving me. Have we lost one of our DE???

Boston...
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hope not! We need our Sunny!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sunny, Bean and McNaught are all wonderful people with lots of helpful information. If you start a campaign to bring them back, I will join. True, please stick with us. Enjoy your posts.

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We certainly need informative, helpful DE's on the forum. All the ones I've dealt with in the past have been just that. I join the others in asking that you guys keep up the good work and continue to provide your invaluable service.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes let's campaign to bring all our DE back!! Come back we miss you guys..

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I personally find it hard to encourage anyone to want to be a DE on here. I have gotten to the point where I do not like to even be a poster or reader some of the time. I think Bean and Sunny rock this world and have helped me to have great vacations (and hopefully more in the future). They are special people and I am proud to call them my friends. What they have offered to others over the years is priceless. But time and time again I see them attacked with meanness and cruelty and I do not think anyone needs that in their lives. I missed the "end" yesterday" but it deeply concerns me that anyone would chose to say the things I saw and heard were said to another person- especially one who has given so much of their time to others- for free!! It is hateful and toxic IMHO. Greatly concerning to me is the fact I think the people who do this attacking manipulate the rules and their identities simply for the “pleasure” of attacking and threatening (and if you are one of them and reading this let it be known you are not quite as slick or invisible as you may think)…it speaks volumes to what is wrong with our world today. So while many of you I enjoy, love your posts and how much you share…and would love to some day meet let it sadly be said a few are ruining it for all.

So I will miss Sunny as a DE and a miss Bean…I will do nothing to encourage them to come back…but will support whatever they decide for themselves. Personally I would not be a DE (and have turned down requests from TA to be one for a bunch of reasons including I am no expert but would not even consider it if I was). It breaks my heart that a travel forum that can be informative, fun and wonderful can become what I have seen it become time and time again. TA needs to step up and figure out some other ways to handle these things…it is abusive what happened here yesterday.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

True, thanks for your post. Well said. It is interesting. Although the internet gives people anonymity and freedom, it also gives them license to say/do things for which they apparently are not responsible. Common decency is not always that common (like common sense). If people cannot discuss opposing viewpoints without resorting to personal attacks, it speaks more about them. As one of my friends likes to say. "They were just not raised right."

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm an engineer so I tend to be analytical but here's my 2 cents.

DEs provide an invaluable service which is not measurable because most forum readers never post. It is the DEs insight that provides ideas/fun/savings to many, which is the primary purpose of the forums.

It is easy to spot those few posters that want to stir up trouble. There are 2 types: the kind that show up as new because they keep changing their ids and the kind that when you research their posts have a track record of being contrarians or try to bait responses to drag you down to their level. The only advice I have is to resist the temptation to respond in kind. Counter their idiocracy with the only the facts and not personal attacks.

This doesn’t happen on other forums because they have moderators that ban members and/or are vigilantly watching for this type malicious activity.

So in closing - DEs and frequent constructive posters (like MurexKen) please keep informing the majority that benefits from your insight. And for the maligners – bug off!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well said, Fred. Totally agree. I would only encourage those of us who benefit so much from this forum to let TA know we would fully support the use of moderators and the banning of trolls. I am on other boards and this kind of stuff is not tolerated. IP addresses are tracked and these creeps are banned. C'mon TA, you can do a better job of protecting your DEs and making this travel site what it is intended to be!

I also support the DEs in their decisions whether to stay or go. Life is too short to be dragged through the muck. I do hope they will continue to post here.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Meaning of DE..."Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions". Key word is volunteer...these people have offered tons of invaluable information to many including myself! I hope that they can continue their input if they so desire. I am and will always be greatful for them.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thank you to y'all for your nice words - I have also gotten quite a few beautiful pm's, if I haven't answered, I will soon.

Yes, I asked for the DE tag to be removed. But not because I was threatened a couple days ago, nor because yet another new personality came out of nowhere to verbally hurt me. Trust, they didn't. It is them that is hurting and has problems, not me. I am fairly certain I know who it was, but don't jump to conclusions, it wasn't the usual suspect.

Dropping the tag is something I've been considering and planning for awhile not - it was just good timing, was the kick in the pants I needed. I have made some incredible friends from this forum, what would I do without them. And I have made some really fun aquaintances, you guys have made me laugh daily.

Losing the tag is not my swan song, I'm considering it a working retirement. Ha ha ... One of the things I love the most is talking Sanibel, count me in.

Thanks for the love, peeps! Right back atcha. xoxo