We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

Denver, Colorado
11 posts
Save Topic
Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

We can only take vacation in summer, and would like to visit Sanibel island. Is either June or July better or does it not matter? Does the humidity and heat make it difficult to be at the beach midday? Do the thunderstorms this time of year usually pass over or stick around in the afternoon? Any inside info would help greatly! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

June and July are similar. Most storms occur in the late afternoon, and are usually brief and refreshing. Mid-day will be hot, but is a great time to swim; we use a beach umbrella or shade canopy but spend most of our summer beach time IN the water, which is bathtub warm and feels wonderful in the summer.

This also a great time of year to take an afternoon nap on a shady lanai with the ceiling fan on and a cool drink nearby

Edited: 17 March 2011, 12:17
Newtown...
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

Our visits to Sanibel usually occur in the summer or early fall. It is VERY hot and humid on the island, but as the previous poster stated, we equip ourselves with a beach umbrella and spend lots of time in the water.... my husband takes his book and heads back up to the screened lanai where he naps, reads and cools down with his favorite adult beverage. On the upside, the island is less crowded and the days are long so we get to enjoy the beach from early morning until evening. The showers usually come in around 3 or 4 p.m. and are gone within an hour or so. I would not hesitate to book your trip for June/July -- enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
374 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

I have a little bit of a different perspective - while we LOVE Sanibel - our first trip was in June and we definitely would NOT go back in summer. Now we are from Colorado so we are used to heat but NOT humidity. There were 10 of us who went and even the kids were miserable. It was too hot to bike or do much of anything other than play in the water which in our opinion wasn't very refreshing because even the pools/ocean were almost hot. We went back in November and LOVED it. It's an amazing place but if you don't like humidity combined with 90+ temps it's not for you in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,073 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

Funny, my long-ago first visit to Colorado (Boulder) was from North Carolina, in the summer. Returning, it felt awful to get off the plane into the steambath.

Florida in summer is as bad. It can be quite OK during the day on a porch with a fan running, but there's no escaping the oppressive humidity. I'd much rather be in Wyoming or western Oregon for the summer (I've lived in both).

In my neighborhood, it's quite normal to see people out walking around 9 or 10 at night in the summer. Much better than the heat of the day.

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Denver, Colorado
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

Thanks for the info! We are from Colorado, and not used to humidity, I love a hot tropical beach but worry that the humidity is too draining on the kids. I'm still torn because I want a beach where the water is warm to swim in (we have gone to San Diego the past two summers and love it there but the water is freezing - only 62-65 degrees in July), so this would be great to be able to swim. I would love to go in the fall as suggested, but we can't. One other question if I may - is the ocean totally flat like the Caribbean or are there some very small waves / surf to play in? Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

I'm from Indiana, so unfortunately I can't offer the perspective of living in no humidity, but I always go to FL in the summer.

Yes, the humidity would be killer if you're not used to it, but I find that along the Gulf coast there is always a breeze, so it never feels as hot to me. In fact, last year there was such a breeze that my umbrella blew over a few times and it was pretty well anchored in the sand.

Like the other posters said, you definitely wouldn't want to take long hikes up and down the beach in the middle of the day or rent bikes and ride them around the island; whew...way too hot. That's definitely a morning or sunset activity. I really like going down at that time of year because it's less crowded, not to mention less expensive.

During the week I was there I don't remember there being much of a stormy weather problem, but I have experienced that in previous years.

One thing that I always check when I book a place to stay is whether they provide chairs and umbrellas. I can't be down there in the summer without an umbrella.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

There are some small waves, depending on wind and weather conditions. If warm water for swimming is your main objective, you will find that for sure. I agree that late fall is the best time to visit (low rates, no crowds, lower air temperature but gulf still warm), but I have spent many many weeks on sanitbel during the summer and enjoyed them all. I do think June and July are a bit more bearable than late August and September.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
801 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

I've been in summer and spring ... Spring is pretty much 100% guaranteed perfect weather, whereas August can be a bit of a crap shoot rain/storm wise. I think the real problem in summer isn't the heat - (yes it's hot midday but nice beach weather) - but rather the likelihood of extended rain. This past Aug we lucked out with only 3 lost days due to rain over 14 days ... BUT the following week had miserable weather with rain that didn't let up for a full week or so ... folks were saying they didn't see the sun the whole time that week !!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
467 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

I have been to Sanibel in in all three summer months. Humidity can be high, but you just plan your activities. Bike riding, golf, etc is best in the morning. It's much less crowded than other times of the year. The Gulf of Mexico is perfect temperature (while in the winter a bit cool for swimming or floating on a raft. Yes, it afternoon showers are typical, but usually are short and sun pops right back out.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel weather in summer - too hot/stormy?

Due to the westerly breezes, the area at or adjacent to the beach is usually comfortable even in the mid day. Wave action is usually gentle rolling but if there is a storm out to see you can get some higher swells.

I don't think rainy days are more likely in the summer than fall. I agree that it is usually confined to late day thunderstorms.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island