We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations, Please

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations, Please

I would love to have some recommendations for some restaurants for us to try when we are there in early June. We are a family of four and will be coming off a week at Disney World to relax and enjoy the beaches and the shelling. What we are really looking for are places with good quality and reasonable prices, nothing touristy, just great food. We are not picky eaters. I was thinking Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast once. How about the Bubble Room? It looks fun, but I've read varying reviews about it.

How about you all that live there? What are your favorites for great food and great value? We'll be there for three nights at the Sanibel Inn.

Thanks for anything you can recommend!

Kansas
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

We really like the Island Cow, Bubble room (we get the tiny bubble because it can get $$$). The over easy cafe is wonderful!!!!! Enjoy

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

Definitely Doc Ford's and the Over Easy Cafe (breakfast and/or lunch)! I'd pick the Mucky Duck over The Bubble Room, not so much for the food, but for the atmosphere - The Mucky Duck is beachfront and The Bubble Room is back away from the beach... Enjoy!

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

I think the great food, reasonable prices and nothing touristy requirements leave the Bubble Room out. It might be worth it for the kids though - it is an unusual place. We like RC Otters on Captiva.

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

Over Easy is great for breakfast.

For lunch I would recommend Gramma Dots or Lazy Flamigo.

We have had some delicious meals at Mad Hatter, Sweet Melissa's, Old Captiva House, Green Flash, and Traders.

The Bubble Room is a fun place to walk through. I would visit pick up some of their delicious cake and be on my way. Orange Crunch is our favorite.

I enjoy reading the restaurant recommendations since everyone has a variety of favorites.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

Great recommendations. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks, everyone!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

We were down in late January and here are a few of our favorites. When you go to Doc Fords, try the Yucatan Shrimp if you like heat you will enjoy this dish. Can be an appetizer or a full meal depending how many shrimp would like. Grandma Dots Key Lime Pie the best, Cips is new, their outside area is very nice and the food was good. Timbers is always good food and service. As for breakfast, Over Easy for stuffed French toast, and the Light House Café for waffles with fresh strawberries. Had fun at Key Lime Bistro, eating stuffed grouper and listening to the live music during the evening meal. TOOO Many good restaurants not enough time!!! Have fun our trip back is not until next February. :~(

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

I'm getting hungry just reading all these posts! Thanks so much!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
867 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

Doc Fords is still our overall favorite. Have had several good meals at the new George and Wendy's Corner Grill including breakfast and dinner. Traders has wonderful food although we find it noisy and the service can be slow when it's busy. Thought our salads and grouper was good at Cip's, but other items were just OK. We are not big fans of the Stone Crab, but did like most of our entrees at the Twilight Room.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
115 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

"good quality ... reasonable prices ... great food." I'd definitely recommend taking all the feedback here and looking for reviews to see what people say. Find a review that sounds like something written by someone with the same attitude you have, and read their other reviews.

Breakfast at Over Easy Cafe definitely falls into your goal, in my opinion. The food is awesome and the place has a great feel to it. It's just awesome all around.

The Lazy Flamingo is a great place too, low key, lots of tasty food at reasonable prices, kind of a pub atmosphere but still family-friendly. There are two on the island; the one closer to Captiva is more of a bar.

The Sanibel Cafe is another low-key place, affordable. It's not big on personality, but it has a "locals eat here" feel which I enjoyed for a quiet lunch.

Grandma Dot's is a cute little place right by the water where you can watch the boats come in. Best coconut shrimp on the island. Everybody was happy when we went there. Not a lot of frills, but it sounds like that's fine for you.

You're going to get a lot of statements about Doc Ford's. I am not a fan, but many are. Same with Bubble Room. It felt like it was trying too hard, and the price didn't line up with the experience to me.

On the other hand, a trip never goes by when I don't go to Island Cow, and many others find it annoying, so ....

If you're looking to splurge a bit, my favorite "above average cost but not as much as the high end places" is Trader's.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations, Please

The Stonecrab restaurant located on West Gulf Drive is a very good choice. Good food for all ages, prices ok - has a nice salad bar.

Sanibel Grill has a great menu (sports bar atmosphere) Love the food. Lazy Flaminigo is never disappointing - great seafood.

Grama Dots is a nice experience located right on the Marina - (now heated and air conditioned)