We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel island area or jupiter?

Merced, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sanibel island area or jupiter?

I need some help. My husband and 2 children, ages 10 and 11, are staying in Marathon in the Keys from 7/16-7/22. We arrive in Fort Lauderdale on 7/12 in the evening. I have 7/13-7/15 free and I'm not sure what part of Florida we should focus on. My oldest really wants to swim with manatees, but from what I've read at this time of year they aren't hanging around in the Crystal River area. I've though about staying on the East side or coming over to this area and see Naples, Cape Coral etc. Any advice on what we should do would be much appreciated.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel island area or jupiter?

I have been advised, and tend to agree, that it would be too much driving... Fort Lauderdale over to Sanibel... back over to the Keys, especially since you only have two days to spend on Sanibel. I would hold off on visiting Sanibel until you have more time to spend enjoying your first visit. Use the time to take in some of the other sights on the Atlantic side of the State.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel island area or jupiter?

Agreed ... you don't want to spend all that time driving. Why not head in the direction you'll be going and stop off in Islamorada for the extra nights. Or even Ft. Lauderdale and North Miami areas have prefectly good places to stay on the beach which, btw, are much much better beaches than you will find in Marathon. Now if you're into snorkeling then Marathon is better.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel island area or jupiter?

As much as I would like to promote Sanibel, I would recommend staying on the east coast with such little time. There are commercial places to swim with dolphins, but not manatees, in the Keys. Or go into Everglades National Park at the Homestead entrance and check out the Anhinga trail. You can get pretty close to a lot of alligators and birds if your kids like animals. Also consider John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo - they have a snorkeling boat tour.

4. Re: Sanibel island area or jupiter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 08:16