We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Family Fun Resort

Orlando, FL
5 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Family Fun Resort

Hi there, residents of Orlando here - looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the theme parks. We have never been to the West Coast beaches and have heard Sanibel is great. Any advice on a family friendly resort? We have a five year old daughter - would love to find a place with children's activities and a fun pool/water area.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Moorings Resort
Sanibel Moorings Resort
#1 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Island Inn
Island Inn
#5 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#6 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Chicago
Level Contributor
207 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

If you're OK with a more "casual" children's program, my family (8 and 6 year olds) stayed at Pointe Santo (a condo complex) this summer. We loved it and are planning to go back next year. They have kids craft activities M-F for a small fee (under $5) that last about 20-30 minutes. Plus, they have ice cream sundaes/root beer floats for sale during the late afternoons, free game times (like shell bingo) and a movie/pizza night. They do have a nice pool, but nothing fancy like slides or fountains. It's a little on the small side and they have adult swim from 9-10 and 4-5.

pointesanto.com/pointe_santo_amenities.html

If you want a more structured, lengthy kids' program, you should check out Casa Ybel, which is might be more of the "resort" that you're looking for. Here's a link to info on their kids' club. From there, you can take a look at their rooms, other amenities, etc.

http://www.casaybelresort.com/kidsclub.asp

While not on Sanibel, there is also South Seas on Captiva. It takes up the entire end of the island. It has a few pools, lots of different accommodation types and different kids' activities (swim school, fishing, crafts, kids night out.) Plus, the Sanibel Sea School has a program at South Seas.

southseas.com/resort_experience/family_activ…

Mentioned in this post
Casa Ybel Resort
Casa Ybel Resort
686 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Chicago
Level Contributor
207 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

Oops...forgot about Sundial Resort on Sanibel!

sanibelcollection.com/sundial_resort/activit…

Mentioned in this post
Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Sundial Beach Resort...
2,714 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando, FL
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

Thank you for all your info!! The links are great - I'm taking a look now. Crazy how I have lived in Orlando most of my life and only been to the East Coast beaches. Heard the West Coast was beautiful though and thought it would be greta to head over there this summer for a family vacation. I know nothing about any of the hotels, etc. so this is really helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Chicago
Level Contributor
207 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

I've taken my two kids to Disney twice and they loved it; however, after this summer's trip to Sanibel, they said they like it better than Disney! That's saying a heck of a lot.

Your daughter will have a blast. My kids loved looking for shells and any animals in/around the water (birds, crabs, etc.) and looking for new turtle nests. They even tried fishing for the first time and had fun, despite the heat, humidity and blazing sun. They spent almost every day going back and forth between the beach and the pool. The Sanibel Thriller is amazing, too. It was about $160 for the 4 of us, but so well worth it. After the first pod of dolphins finished playing behind our boat, my son told me that he wanted to live on Sanibel forever.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Thriller
Sanibel Thriller
621 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

There is no real resort with a water park pool on Sanibel. The closest is the Pink Shell Resort at Fort Myers Beach but that is a totally different feel than Sanibel.

Casa Ybel is as said a semi-resort and does have a kiddie pool. Not a big fan of Sundial and as we own at Pointe Santo I think it's a good choice particularly for families.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Casa Ybel Resort
Casa Ybel Resort
686 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Sundial Beach Resort...
2,714 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
6. Re: Looking for Family Fun Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island