We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot's Hot weekend

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
463 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hot's Hot weekend

Just returned from a 3-night stay in Paradise. We stayed at the motel part of Shalimar. The room was an average motel-type room but the location couldn't be beat. We were on the second floor right at the top of the stairs. We walked out of our room, down the stairs, stepped off the sidewalk onto the beach. They provided beach chairs, which was very convenient. It was h-o-t (uh, I know, it is south Florida in August) but there was little to no breeze on Friday. That resulted in lots of trips up and down the stairs for cooling beverages :- ) The shelling was scarce; I bagged very few this trip. I shelled on West Gulf and also a couple of times at Blind Pass late evenings, never made it to the lighthouse this trip. Hubby fished and had an up close and personal with a couple of manatees when he was waist deep casting. He said they just hung around, so close he could have touched them with the tip of his fishing rod. After about 20 or 30 minutes they drifted off down the coast.. Saturday evening we went on the sunset catamaran sail via Captiva Cruises. They took us through the channel out into the gulf and cut the engines. The first mate hoisted the sail and the magic began. There were about 20 folks on board, music was flowing, wine, beer and soft drinks were available (first one complimentary) and everyone was chillin. The wind felt wonderful, the sunset was nice, the sky was gorgeous, and I couldn't help thinking of how lucky I was to be in that place at that time with the love of my life. Best food this trip was at Traders (again). I guess they have now become my favorite restaurant on Sanibel. We also ate at Grandma Dot's, Matzaluna (first time for us, we liked it), Doc's, and brunch at Over Easy. Every day there was thunder rumbling in the distance, but we never had rain except once during the night/pre-dawn hours. Even though I used my Cactus Juice, the Noseeums loved me this trip; the feeling is definitely not mutual! All around it was a great trip, just way too short. I'd definitely recommend the catamaran cruise to anyone who hasn't tried it before. Hoping to head back when the weather at home is cold and the warm sun is shining on the shores of Sanibel.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Traders
Traders
1,745 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Matzaluna
Matzaluna
1,487 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

Hot, thanks for the trip report. Glad you had a nice time. Thanks for the info on the Sunset Cruise. Sorry the shelling was not better for you. I see another Wentletrap collecting session in your future.

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

Glad you had a great time!! Would love to try the Sunset Cruise in the future. It sounds so wonderful! I have never been to FL in the summer....but surely not much different from Hot, Humid, Indiana, weather except no noseeums and lots of sand and water and shells. LOL OK,,,lots of things different.

We have not tried Traders yet. Hope to visit in Feb.

Thanks for your review!!

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Traders
Traders
1,745 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Inman, SC
Level Contributor
463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

MK, Mars, and Millygirl: Thanks for your comments. You ladies really need to try Traders on your next visit--not only have I never had a bad meal there, I've always had great! meals there. MK, another wentling session sounds great to me. Mars, I was relieved Doc's reopened before we left --no mojito but a tasty Bull on the Beach. Still no RWW--hoping to meet him some day. Millygirl, the noseeums were not kind to me this trip. My Cactus Juice is several years old, so maybe it is losing its potency...it usually works great for me. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe I'm just getting so sweet they can't resist. me :- ) Saw on Pam's blog a photo of some shells captured on West Gulf Drive in the last couple days.....where were they when I was there?! Must....Go.....Back...Soon!

Mentioned in this post
Traders
Traders
1,745 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

First thank you for the trip report, sorry about the noseeums, they eat me up too and my sister. As soon as I put one foot on the ground that's it. I'll have to try Matzaluna next time. We didn't have much luck with shells on our last trip either, it's a bummer but it's still Sanibel :) Hope you & your family have the chance to visit again soon with much better luck with the shells. Oh and we sure do miss Docs, that place is freaking awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Matzaluna
Matzaluna
1,487 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

Just an altogether delightful report, "Hot". Thank you for sharing some of the details of what sounded like a very special getaway for you and your husband.

6. Re: Hot's Hot weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 02:16