We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help plan Oct baby-moon

Virginia
Level Contributor
463 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Please help plan Oct baby-moon

My husband and I are thinking of traveling to Sanibel for our baby-moon (I'll be 16 wks pregnant). We've never been there. It seems like Oct will still be nice and warm, and the island seems pretty accessible to the airport. We would rent a car. It would be a Thur-Mon.

We would mostly be interested in relaxing, swimming in the ocean, seeing or swimming with dolphins in the ocean, seeing birds or other wildlife.

It would be great to stay somewhere where we can go around barefoot all day, have a cheap or included breakfast, and have a comfortable place to lay around during the day outside and/or with an ocean view. We'd want a dvd player so we could watch movies at night. We'd want a king bed. We do NOT need anything particularly fancy, and we do not need a pool.

Do you have any suggestions for places to stay? I am looking through the top rated hotels on here and see some great options. Is there one that would be particularly good for our interests (especially for easy safe swimming - my husband will want to swim for exercise - and likely dolphin spotting)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Virginia
Level Contributor
463 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

I want to update my post with one other criterion for a place to stay. I'd really like to be somewhere where I can sit on a private shaded porch or balcony and see/hear the water. We'd like to find somewhere for less than $150 a night.

So main criteria:

- shaded porch or balcony with water view

- safe swimming beach for my husband for exercise

- beach where we're likely to see dolphins and other wildlife

We are there to relax and see some wildlife.

I'm considering Mitchell's Sandcastles,and I just started looking through condo options but feel overwhelmed by those.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Mitchell's Sandcastles
363 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

We stayed in Sea Grape (a studio) at Mitchell's in July and would go back today! Mitchell's definitely fits your criteria of the shaded porch, safe swimming beach, seeing dolphins, etc., and relaxing, relaxing, relaxing! We loved sitting out in the evening and just hearing the waves roll in and/or the swaying palms. The West Gulf Drive part of Sanibel definitely gives that away-from-it-all atmosphere.

As for being under $150/night; you're not going to find rates that low there and you'd have to make your own breakfast but there's enough places to purchase bakery goods, etc. to keep in a kitchen. I can't remember if there was a DVD player.

Good luck; Sanibel is magical!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Virginia
Level Contributor
463 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

Thanks for the reply about Mitchell's! I have been looking closely at Ocean's Reach condo's, and I think they may be the best fit for us. I really want to have a shaded porch with water view. But, it seems like they only rent for the week. We'll be there Thur-Sun in late Oct. I've tried emailing some owners through here and through VRBO. Any advice on how we might get a condo with balcony with water view for Thur-Sun for less than $150? I'd love some tips. I'm hoping that price could be possible given the time of year....

I'm worried that at Mitchell's we wouldn't have a comfortable shaded spot with water view for reading during the day.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 04:12
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

Have you made a direct inquiry at Ocean's Reach?? I know their website doesn't specifically say so, but I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that they are open to shorter stays during "off season" if they have availability. Might be worth making a phone call.... If available, should be close to your $150 per night target. I believe their weekly rate is around $1100 - $1200 at that time of year.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 16:36
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

You could also run your criteria by one of the rental agencies- VIP, Royal Shell, Island Vacations, Select Vacations and others and see what they can find for you. Once they give you some choices you can come back to the forum for feedback on your options. Lots out there!

6. Re: Please help plan Oct baby-moon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:16