We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
157 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

Hello,

I am considering visiting Sanibel in February for first time with hubby. I have been carefully reading differences between Sanibel, Captiva, and Marco. Sanibel sounds wonderful because of the many options to view wildlife and great beaches!

I have several questions--is it $6 each time you go to and from on the causeway? I really want to travel to the Everglades and maybe some other spots on the mainland and I realize costs could add up in bridge fees!

I would like to stay somewhere that is more couples oriented. I looked at Song of the Seas but reviews are very mixed. I know there are a lot of condo options but I don't know if this is for us as we want amenities that a hotel or resort offers. I also looked at Casa Ybel and the price point is too high.

Suggestions are welcomed!

Andrea

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

I've stayed at Song of the Sea twice and we absolutely love it there. So much that I'd stay there again next time we go! We loved the pool area and quick access to the beach. The continental breakfast is also a bonus. Good luck and happy planning. I've fallen in love with Sanibel!

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

The $6 causeway toll is only for the trip over. So, that makes it $6 round trip.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

We stayed at the Sanibel Inn and just loved it. They had really nice double chaises with a sunshade over them so we could spend whole days at the beach. The rooms were beautiful and the grounds were nice. There's an outdoor pool bar and restrooms, so you don't have to go back to your room.

If we hadn't bought a condo, we'd be staying there whenever we come to Sanibel. Don't be so sure you'll want to leave Sanibel, though- we had planned to but never have.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

You may want to take a look at Sanibel Sunset Beach Resort / Hotel as well to compare cost and amenities. February is "high" season on the island...in all of mid / lower Florida. Not absolutely certain, but you may find SBR rates to be a bit more appealing than some others and reviews are generally quite positive.

Level Contributor
180 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

We are a couple who have been to Sanibel three times and have stayed at Song of The Sea all three times (beach front upstairs suite). It's small, quiet, and quite special. Plenty of chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas set up and just waiting for you when you're ready to go to the beach. Nice to have breakfast available before or after a beach stroll in the morn. There's a little pool bar with limited menu at the property next door. Everything is easy and relaxing.

We always spend one day on Captiva, and enjoy it there, but prefer Sanibel for accommodations on the beach. Have never had a desire to go to Marco Island. I think it's more built up there, but I could be wrong.

We have entertained the idea of visiting the Everglades when we're vacationing on Sanibel, but we never want to leave the island once we arrive:-). Someday I imagine we'll see the Everglades, but have decided it makes more sense for us to go there before or after our stay on Sanibel.

We'll actually be making our 4th trip down in less than two weeks (can barely wait!!) and have chosen a condo for a change. More economical than SOS, but I do worry that I won't like lugging beach chairs and an umbrella around and that it wont be as quiet and peaceful as we've gotten accustomed to at Song of the Sea. We'll see....

Good luck making a decision!

Level Contributor
180 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

We are a couple who have been to Sanibel three times and have stayed at Song of The Sea all three times (beach front upstairs suite). It's small, quiet, and quite special. Plenty of chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas set up and just waiting for you when you're ready to go to the beach. Nice to have breakfast available before or after a beach stroll in the morn. There's a little pool bar with limited menu at the property next door. Everything is easy and relaxing.

We always spend one day on Captiva, and enjoy it there, but prefer Sanibel for accommodations on the beach. Have never had a desire to go to Marco Island. I think it's more built up there, but I could be wrong.

We have entertained the idea of visiting the Everglades when we're vacationing on Sanibel, but we never want to leave the island once we arrive:-). Someday I imagine we'll see the Everglades, but have decided it makes more sense for us to go there before or after our stay on Sanibel.

We'll actually be making our 4th trip down in less than two weeks (can barely wait!!) and have chosen a condo for a change. More economical than SOS, but I do worry that I won't like lugging beach chairs and an umbrella around and that it wont be as quiet and peaceful as we've gotten accustomed to at Song of the Sea. We'll see....

Good luck making a decision!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

The SOTS reviews on TA are mostly very good and the few negative one were mostly those who only had that one review posted which to me disqualifies them- I just don't read reviews by single contributors as they are as likely as not to be illegitimate..

SOTS is very nice by most accounts and probably the best small resort for couples so I wouldn't worry about the occasional negative comment.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 08:15
North Texas
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

My husband and I first came to Sanibel this past February and the very nice and helpful Sanibel TA people steered us to Song of the Seas, as we would only be there for one night so couldn't rent a condo. SOTS is just a lovely, old-Florida type place - charming, roomy, small, quiet and perfectly located. Although it was expensive - high season - it was the highlight of our weeklong trip to Florida...so much so, that we are returning in November along with another couple, to stay a full week. Can. Not. Wait!! I think you'd be very very happy with Song of the Seas...

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

If you end up on Sanibel go to the Twilight Restaurant and Wine Bar for a romantic meal, sit at the bar that overlooks the cooking station and enjoy a few glasses of wine.

Go dancing at the Stone Crab Shrimp and Seafood house to Danny Morgan.

Take a walk at night on Lighthouse beach. Get an ice cream cone at Pinocchio's Ice Cream in the East End.

Have lunch at Traders.

Get a two person bike or better yet a Surrey Bike at Finnimore's bikes and go up and down Periwinkle Way, shop at Periwinkle Place and take a break at Blue Giraffe Restaurant.

Breakfast...Over Easy for sure.

To eat in go to Bailey's Grocery early in the afternoon and get some of the hot ribs or smoked meats and sided prepared fresh daily. You can take that to the beach for sunset right down the road on Tarpon Bay.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frst time visit - recommendations for couple

I can second Periwinkle Place as stop on the bike path. More than two dozen separate shops, at last count, that are basically unduplicated for merchandise offerings, and often not what you ill find on the mainland. It's a nice blend commerce in casual, natural, refreshing setting. If one of you isn't in to shopping, Periwinkle Place is a nice spot to chill while you wait.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island