We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK so I've booked my flights for January

Florida
Level Contributor
157 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
OK so I've booked my flights for January

Howdy,

So I booked our flights last night for travel to Sanibel. We will arrive on 1/21 for 6 nights.

I am still unsure about hotel accommodations. I posted earlier about wanting something quiet and for couples. I still can't decide about SOTS. Comments are appreciated!

How long will it take to get to the island from Ft. Myers? How long will it take to get to the Everglades from Sanibel?

Thanks!

Andrea

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK so I've booked my flights for January

I realize you said in your earlier post that you wanted hotel type amenities. You also said Casa Ybel looked appealing but that it was a bit pricey. Have you checked to see if they might be offering any specials since you are now coming in January? Rates generally don't "peak" until February.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a condo complex with pool, tennis and attractive grounds. Easy to stock your fridge with the basics for breakfast and light lunches or suppers and explore various restaurants for the main meal of the day. Sounds as though you plan to do some sightseeing and not spend all your time on the beach. Easy to bicycle or drive to the main commercial sections / restaurants on Sanibel. The one BR units at Ocean's Reach are pleasant for couples. Directly on the beach and great views...especially from the higher floors. You can check directly with owners at vrbo.com or go directly to the oceansreach.com website to see what they have to offer.

The drive from the airport is quite easy and generally takes about 45 mins to an hour depending on day of the week and season / traffic...can be longer on a Saturday in peak season. Drive to the Everglades...maybe 2 1/2 hours each way.

Hope all goes well and that your Sanibel getaway will provide all the rest / relaxation / enjoyment you are seeking.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK so I've booked my flights for January

The are two owners that are offering their January 21 weeks at Casa Ybel for about $2000. They might be negotiable so it might pay to contact them:

http://casaybel.com/casa_db1.htm

A condo would probably be the best bang for the buck as again January is not really peak time yet and even beachfront complex units can go for around $1500/ week.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK so I've booked my flights for January

Island Inn off of West Gulf Drive is another nice complex with restaurant on-site, yet still quiet

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK so I've booked my flights for January

If you don't need the extra space of a condo, or the association lifestyle, consider West Wind Inn. It's on quiet West Gulf Drive, with a 500-ft stretch of beach that tends be less frequented. The rooms range from single rooms (with bath) to suites. Rooms surround a large, heated pool and pool deck with a convivial bar that overlooks the Gulf. People who have stayed their describe it as quintessential Sanibel. Check it out and you be the judge. You won't go wrong almost anywhere on Sanibel.

5. Re: OK so I've booked my flights for January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:21