We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide?

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tide?

I have heard some reports of red tide recently, how is the island? I am coming down on November 7-12....

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,919 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide?

Well, I am north of there, and we were hit. But not extremely badly (some fish kills, and some areas near Gasparilla island I heard people had symptoms).

But my area, minor fish kills from southern manasota Key south, but no symptoms (and I am very allergic). I have not ben to Gasparilla but have been to beaches form Anna Maria (no problems) to Blind pass on MK( fine) to engleswood-Palm Island resort. On PI, I saw fish kills, and there was a bit of a pong when the wind was in the wrong direction. but I walked in t he water, and my sons went in fully with no ill effects.

The only reports I have seen on local news (Ft Myers stations) was that the bloom had drifted southwards and was some miles off Sanibel. But again. I have seen no reports of fish kills or other occurances in your area. The website to keep up to date on water sampling and charting is:

myfwc.com/research/…regional

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide?

Hey thanks! I was pretty worried about it ruining our trip but it seems like it's nothing really to worry about right now.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide?

The beaches are clear and clean right now. Many live shells this morning. Probably the best moening in the past two weeks for good shelling.

4. Re: Red Tide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 04:18