We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caution; Direct Air

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Caution; Direct Air

My family has had decent experience in the past with Direct Air...flying with them into Punta Gorda for Sanibel and Marco vacations. However, just received a telephone message stating they will not be honoring the EIGHTEEN tickets we purchased for our family Christmas vacation in Florida. Various family members received different information, including that they had no aircraft available. Who knows what the full story will turn out to be?

Bottom line...had to book EIGHTEEN tickets on American Airlines and were fortunate to be able to do so with only eight weeks until the holidays.. I don't want to even tell you what they cost at this late date, but you can imagine. I noticed another poster on this board had previously mentioned a flight cancellation by Direct Air. Clearly, this is no longer a reliable operation. Too bad....

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caution; Direct Air

Sorry to hear about your Direct Air problems. Your report contains far fewer negative comments/emotion than mine would have contained, if that had happened to me. Enjoy the time with your family and find some nice shells.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caution; Direct Air

please keep us posted on any specifics you are able to get from Direct Air - I am concerned about several friends in various locations who also use them and wondering how many flights / locations are going to receive similar messages of cancellation -

Edited: 02 November 2011, 21:01
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caution; Direct Air

Just to be fair...in searching their website, it appears that their flights into West Palm Beach have been most impacted. Looks as though service into Punta Gorda (for Sanibel / Ft. Myers) has not been affected by whatever "glitch" we got caught in. Still...I will be very cautious about making any travel plans with Direct Air in the future...IF they remain in business.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 22:25
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
923 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caution; Direct Air

We have been hoping that another low cost carrier would begin service from Duluth to Punta Gorda. In the meantime, I can imagine what 18 tickets on legacy carrier would cost...we just purchased six tickets on Delta for our own Xmas/New Years vacation, and I am still having sticker shock!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caution; Direct Air

I had posted that Direct Air cancelled our tickets to San Juan for Christmas week. "Only" five tickets but as you can expect, re-booking on a major airline for that week at a late date was absolutely prohibitive.

They did not offer any solid reasons why they were cancelling service; just a notice that they were not going to begin to go into SJU until May. Two months after selling us the seats!

Obviously this is a carrier in trouble and I would only book them on a last-minute basis at this point.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caution; Direct Air

Apparently these are not isolated events:

http://www.my3cents.com/search.cgi?criteria=direct+air

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caution; Direct Air

For any Direct Air customers who may be interested in how they are handling this fiasco:

rrstar.com/top_stories/x669415076/Direct-Air…

Buyer Beware....

Edited: 05 November 2011, 14:59
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caution; Direct Air

I feel lucky- at least we did get a refund.....

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caution; Direct Air

GrandmaMac- Sorry to hear about the problems with Direct Air, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

On a flight bound for Niagara Falls NY, the plane lost cabin pressure- not once, but twice. Sounded pretty scary.

wtsp.com/news/article/215727/250/Plane-groun…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caution; Direct Air

Thanks, kiki3... seems the negative stories re: Direct Air just keep coming. I admire entrepreneurs who start a business targeting an identified need (convenience and affordability by flying out of secondary airports), but that model is almost doomed to failure if safety and reliability become questionable.