We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

Missouri
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

Hi everyone! I'm returning to Sanibel after my first visit in August. I'm excited but nervous because I'm travelling alone this time. My husband just couldn't adjust his schedule to go. Will there be other folks on the beaches during the week? I'm a little nervous about being out and about without other people around (although I'm sure my chances at shelling would be better!). I'd just feel more comfortable if I knew there would be others around.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

Eight days from today, Dec 11 and the next 4-5 days there will be good low tides in the morning. Although the shelling has not been all that good during the past few weeks, I am hopeful that the recent change in wind will bring in some nice shells during the next few days/weeks. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people out on the beach for the low tides. Many of the winter residents are now back on Sanibel Island, and many of them are pretty serious about their shelling. No, you will not be alone, not by a long shot.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

we have had gusting on shore winds, get ready to do the Sanibel Stoop. T- shirts and shorts daily and long sleeves after dark. Perfect. :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

Enjoy your trip and don't worry. Lot's of people around .

Have a great time !!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

I've been to Sanibel by myself several times, and it is glorious. My first choice when I need rejuvenation.

Getting up before dawn with a flashlight or headlamp to beach comb is my favorite thing - so peaceful, nothing but your own thoughts and the crashing waves. After sunrise, the beach will be active, but not crowded this time of year.

Go relax, eat and sleep on your own schedule. No worries about being alone.

In fact, I'm going down alone soon, so I'll have a couple days before I meet up with my friends. I had to change my flight, go a day later, so I wouldn't miss my sons Christmas concert - My husband asked if there was a late night flight, so I wouldn't miss early shelling the next morning. I said, I don't want to go by myself in the middle of the night, he just looked at me " It's Sanibel, I don't think you have anything to worry about ".

Waukee, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

I've also been down by myself many times. I've never felt lonely or unsafe. Here's one suggestion someone made to me that I've always followed when there alone..even when you're out shelling .make sure you always carry at least a piece of paper with your name and a contact phone number in a waterproof little baggie or something. Maybe it seems obvious to everyone else, but I hadn't really thought of it before.

Missouri
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

Thanks for all of your responses! I feel much better. I'm very excited about going back. I've already printed out tide charts. Never knew how much I would like shell collecting until we went there in August. I've been to the beaches in the Bahamas, Hilton Head, San Diego and Galveston and--WOW--nothing compares.

5 days to go!

NJ
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

there will be lots of people around. Relax and enjoy your trip !

8. Re: Only 8 days left on countdown...Excited but nervous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:18