We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

cincinnati
2 posts
Save Topic
Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

I have gone through the tripadvisor site but can you tell me some nice places for Snorkeling and dolphin watching? And as for manatees i do not have proper info on them. This is my first time to Sanibel and i might be visiting Tampa too. My trip time is dec 15th-20th. Any conditions i should be aware of ?? I know i am asking a lot but please help me if you can.

Thanks.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

No snorkelling around Sanibel as it's too sandy.

Plenty of dolphins year round and an excellent way to see them is by taking a ride aboard the Thriller http://sanibelthriller.com/

Manatees I have never seen around Sanibel but many others have and I am sure they will advise best place.

cincinnati
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

Thank you. The thriller ride looks nice. Do you know any places to snorkel maybe on mainland?

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

Unless you are on the east coast from about Palm Beach south or in the Keys, there is no good snorkeling. The water is usually not clear enough.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
906 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

The best location for Manatee watching in the winter (especially after the gulf water cools down) is the Lee County Manatee Park in Fort Myers (on the way to Tampa, if you are headed in that direction)

This warm water from the nearby power plants attracts the Manatees to this location

leeparks.org/facility-info/…

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

Most people don't snorkel on the mainland in this area. There are springs north of Tampa that you can do so, like Rainbow River. If you're interested in snorkeling with manatees, check out Homassasa Springs. The water temps might be a bit chilly for you.

Pretty much any medium to large tour boat that goes out will attract dolphins at some point, not just the Thriller.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

If you do decide to visit Tampa, then Siesta Key will be not too far off your direct route between there and Sanibel. A place known as Point O' Rocks on Siesta Key is about the most often mentioned place to get in some decent snorkeling on the West Coast of Florida. You can search for more information on the Siesta Key site.

NJ
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

Honestly to see dolphgons take any boat or rent your own power boat and go out in the bay near the lighthouse. So many times we weill be drifting or swimming and dolhin are within feet of the boat. It happens ALL the time.

As for snorkling ... its not the greatest conditions. very sandy and low vis. But i always do anyway. Favorite is off of Cayo costa and the beaches near the light house. You will be able to see bottom and any shells. Not much in the way of tropical fishes or coral though.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

If you want to snorkel you might head to Key Largo instead of Tampa. It's about the same distance and the snorkeling is supposed to be very good.

niagara falls...
Level Contributor
86 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

Head to the keys for snorkelling.

10. Re: Best places for Snorkeling, dolphin watching and manatees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:19