We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish

I know you are not supposed to collect shells that are still alive and am wondering if the starfish I found today which were still soft were alive. I thought so and put them in the water. Is it possible to find some that are no longer living and if so would they be hard?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish

I think that if a starfish is alive you can see movement in the underside. If you watch it for a while and it is not moving at all I would think it is an ex-starfish.

Hopefully others will confirm this theory or not!

Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish

The only place you will find starfish is possibly washed up on a beach. They will be a lighter color and very hard the bottom will have zero suction. I would suggest going to a gift shop they should have them and then you won't have to worry about killing an innocent creature.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish

Turn it over, still in the water if you can in case it is alive. On it's bottom, will be rows of many, many little teeny legs. These will be moving, or will move it lightly touched, if it is still alive. Same with Sand Dollars but the little legs are smaller and harder to see.

Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish

Sand dollars will be brown if they at alve and harder to see the "star" part of it. It will be white or very light brown if it is dead it will also be lighter than when alive and more rough feeling. You do not want to take alive sand dollars only dead ones which are white NOT brown!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish

sea stars can live quite awhile out of water, so I would assume it was alive, unless is was dried up and hard. Even if you can't see their legs moving, or little feelers moving, they could still be alive.

6. Re: Starfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 10:44
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island