We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No-see-ums in March?

Camrose, Alberta
2 posts
Save Topic
No-see-ums in March?

We are coming to Sanibel March 18, 2012. A few years back I was there in early June and was nearly eaten alive by these little critters. Are they prone to be out at that time in March??? Curious, for sure! Thanks.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No-see-ums in March?

I believe no-see-ums like warmth and calm winds. And twilight. I personally find it hit-or-miss with the breeze being the most important factor. If you are coming down during any but the coldest months I would prepare for the possibility of them by using some precautions:

Repellent if there is no breeze or by the beach at sundown. Use a ceiling fan if staying out on the lanai in the evening and close the doors to the unit in the evening as well if conditions are conductive to their presence.

Most of the time over the years they have not been a problem. Luck of the draw!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No-see-ums in March?

I looked myself and the local product is called- wait for it- No-See-Um.

Cactus Juice is also mentioned but I am not sure if it is all natural.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No-see-ums in March?

CACTUS JUICE Repellent

A mineral Oil based carrier with a Prickly Pear Cactus extract. Prickly Pear Cactus juice was used during the war with Mexico, as an insect repellent. I have seen no research as to how good cactus juice is as a repellent. One person on TripAdvisor likes it.

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/cactuspatent.php

SafariInfo - a private individual who researches everything before doing anything.

http://www.woodsmall.com/

Camrose, Alberta
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No-see-ums in March?

Thanks for the information!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No-see-ums in March?

What about New Years? Do we have to worry about those critters in late Dec./early Jan.? I guess if it's warm and there is little to no breeze, then we'd better watch out! Bugs tends to like me and one of my sons, so we will be looking for No-See-Um repellent and/or Cactus Juice at a local establishment. Any info is appreciated. First timers. Thanks!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No-see-ums in March?

If they like you - they will find you. Just follow the good advice from My Sanibel Condo and you should be fine. Be Proactive!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No-see-ums in March?

Thank so much! We will purchase No-See-Um repellent and/or Cactus Juice as soon as we arrive then! We hope to be on the beach watching fireworks at midnight on Dec. 31 and we don't want to get bit up!!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No-see-ums in March?

j999777

We go to Sanibel every Jan,& Feb. and have never had a problem. Hope things go well for you.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No-see-ums in March?

That's great news for us, saxsax123 - thank you!

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No-see-ums in March?

I was devoured in July one year, tried everyhing we could buy at the drugstore. Then a local resident I met on the beach told me how toxic the bites can be when you have 100's or 1000's. Her remedy was cheap and effective--a quart of white vinegar ($1) in a HOT bath, soak for 10-15 minutes. You can FEEL the poison being pulled out. I feel obligated to pass along such a good remedy because i know how agonizing it feels. BTW, my husband never got ONE bite. They only love certain people:)