We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Since the S.I. forum has been slow today, I thought it might be worthwhile to post this question. Although people may give different answers to this question, I will tell you why I think that this day is so special. It is a Friday and the low tide of minus 1.1 feet will be at 7 AM, about 20 minutes prior to sunrise. On Sanibel Island this will be the lowest tide of 2013. Although there is always an element of luck in successful shell collecting, there is also a lot of purposeful planning. Since many of the popular Sanibel accommodations are reserved a year in advance, anyone wanting to take advantage of the lowest tides of next winter may want to include this information in their plans. Happy Shelling.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

That's what I love about the people on this forum! MK, not only do you look ahead to such details as low tide NEXT year but then you share the info with all of us. Thanks so much - I just may have to get my hubby onboard for an earlier trip in 2013!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Let me be the first to wish you a happy 2013, Ken!

Harris, Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

When is the low tide for 2012? Thanks, we are traveling there soon and just curious.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

In January 2012, the lowest low tide is minus 1.0 feet at 6 AM on Saturday, Jan 21. Often the December low tides can also be quite low. In 2012, the lowest low tides in December are minus 1.0 to minus 1.1 feet on Dec 13 & 14, which are a Thursday and Friday. They are also a little later so that they will be right at or shortly after sunrise. Please remember that the times for the low tides that I am quoting are for the east end of Sanibel Island (Lighthouse beach). They will be 30-40 minutes later for Blind Pass and even later for the bay side of Blind Pass. If you are planning to be on Sanibel Island for the Jan 20-22 low tides, you probably should consider bringing a powerful flashlight. If you do go out before dawn, you will see many other flashlights on the beach. Pam Rambo, http://www.iloveshelling.com/blog/ has recently reported that the northwest winds are starting to bring in more shells. Sure hope that continues.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 18:51
Chester County, Pa
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

A 12/2012 trip to Sanibel is sounding very nice.

Thank you Ken

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Good to know...

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

January 11, 2013 will be my son's 27th birthday. Nothing he loves more than fishing in the Gulf on Sanibel. You've inspired me to take him back for a birthday trip next year. Not that I need an excuse--LOL

Commerce Township...
Level Contributor
83 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Knowing that our annual to Sanibel (1/21-1/28) is hitting the low tide just made my day. The count down is on.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

Mybag, that week should be excellent for low tides. There will be several T.A. posters on Sanibel at that time. Hope you have a great time and find some nice shells.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is so special about January 11, 2013?

This news is fabulous MK! My b-day is 1/10 and maybe this will be a good enough excuse for me to get hubby to plan a trip! :)