We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red tide

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
1 post
Save Topic
red tide

I am wondering if the red tide and the dead fish are dangerous to a person with a compromised immune system?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red tide

It's always a bit daunting how to respond to these kinds of questions. The ever-handy reminder to "discuss this with your health care provider" applies to any individual.

That said, I would imagine that the main immune concern would be touching fish that are in a state of decay which you would obviously want to avoid. As far as I am aware, most of the symptoms associated with red tide are more in the allergic areas and those with respiratory problems as the sea spray can cause red tide toxins to become airborne. If you move away from the beach the symptoms usually go away.

You certainly do not want to eat seafood that is exposed to red tide. All commercial fish and shellfish are considered safe as there are very stringent rules prohibiting fishing in red tide areas.

Again, the best thing would be to talk to your health care provider.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: red tide

Check with your doctor ... but on the other hand I wouldn't risk it.

VA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: red tide

Is there any current or forecast red tide? I'll be there from 2/27-3/4. Thanks,

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red tide

I was out on the water all day today from Sanibel to the gulfside of Cayo Costa .

No sign of red tide at all...nothing.

All the best

Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
300 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red tide

Here are the notifications of any red tide. We always refer to these prior to a visit. Once the Red tide was near Sanibel & we just drove to Captiva. We were fine. So all is not lost, if it occurs-it is usually localized.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/hab/

California
Level Contributor
20 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red tide

Staying at Island Inn (gulf side) on Sanibel right now: Nov. 6, 2012. Yesterday red tide appeared in the lower (southern) portion and this morning creeped up in front of Island Inn. Lots dead fish washed up on beach (big fish), very smelly, lots people experiencing respiratory irritation--tightening in throat and cough. Waded in water.....some slight skin irritation. Hoping it all washes away by tomorrow..... Drove up to Captiva this afternoon and waters clear there. Have heard that inner waters between Fort Myers and islands affected heavily. Lots dead fish in Ding Darling refuge.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red tide

This is where you want to keep watch, and new reports done on Friday each week:

myfwc.com/media/2415307/SWtable1102.pdf

myfwc.com/media/2415307/SWtable1102.pdf

These latest ones were done Nov 2nd, showing high offshore from Sanibel and around Bokeelia. I guess it has shifted onshore with those onshore winds. Hopefully as the nor-easter blows past the NE coast and we lose that strong onshore wind we will see an improvement.

The only good news I can tell you is that Manasota Key was hit badly a few weeks back and is coming clear now with low/very low in areas that were once high/Medium. So it could change for the better quickly.

iowa
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: red tide

Down on west gulf access 5 there was evidence of red tide yesterday afternoon. Coughing and difficulty breathing. This morning seemed fine but quite a few large dead fish. Shelling is not good at all, I'm sure hoping it will improve before the end of the month when I have to leave!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: red tide

myfwc.com/research/…

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: red tide

This from the Fl dept of health:

As red tide blooms approach coastal areas, breaking waves can cause their toxins to become mixed with airborne sea spray. People in coastal areas can experience varying degrees of eye, nose, and throat irritation. When a person leaves an area with a red tide, symptoms usually go away. People with severe or chronic respiratory conditions such as asthma or chronic lung disease are cautioned to avoid areas with active red tides.

Shellfish like clams, oysters, and coquinas that are harvested from areas with active red tides should not be eaten. These shellfish are filter feeders that can concentrate the toxins. Scallops can be consumed if only the scallop muscle is eaten. Scallop stew, using the whole animal including guts, should not be eaten. Seafood, also commonly called shellfish such as crabs, shrimp, and lobster can be eaten because they do not concentrate the toxin.