We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

My daughter has a walking disability so I want to get her very close to the beach (looking for 2-3 nights in late May). Any suggestions for a very short walk to the water? At the same time, not wanting to be in a really busy area. The more private the better. Thanks for any help.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

Tropical Winds has the quietest location well away from any complex. Their efficiencies are all but on the beach. I'd call them first and let them know you have a mobility impaired person and need a ground floor unit as close to the beach as possible. Ask about water entry.

Shalimar also has efficiencies (only 1 ground level) and a few cottages beachfront. It's location is less quiet, but not the busiest spot.

Blue Dolphin has 2 units that might suit and are in a quieter spot than Shalimar.

Be aware, distance to water varies as the sands shift. The gentlest spots are often down on the east end where it's more developed. Beachview Cottages has 2 beach front units that might suit. They are located by condo complexes, but you are near easy water entry.

Special needs beach equipment can be rented if that will ease things for you.

islandrentalservices.net/cart/…

They usually deliver and pick-up to your rental.

Good luck!

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

Of the 2 I reckon Shalimar would have the edge as some of the accommodation at TW is a little set back, though it's a quieter location.

Shalimar has a nice pool too which I like.

Also have a look at Oceans Reach condo's, http://www.oceansreach.com/

you can't get much closer to the beach and nice grounds to relax in as well plus good location.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

The units ending in 4-7 in the A 7 E buildings at Pointe Santo (where we own) are very close to the beach and the lawn goes right up to the sand; very level. Most rent weekly but at the end of May some owners might split a week. You can also check Premier Properties which has several units there and rents nightly.

4. Re: for close to water, Tropical Winds or Shalimar or ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island