We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time - where to stay?

Madison, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Topic
1st time - where to stay?

We would like to go to Sanibel Island for spring break (March 24-30) and we've waited longer than I'd like to book it. We had been looking at Pointe Santo but every inquiry we've made is booked. Some other options look like Sundial, Seaside Inn, Sanibel Inn, Song of the Sea, Sanibel Arms West and West Wind Inn. It is my husband & I and our 2 daughters (9 & 2) - most important is that they have a pool (prefer heated) and right at the beach - 1 or 2 bedrooms. We'd LOVE something with a gulf view but realize that might not happen. Probably looking to spend under $2000 for the week (since we also need to pay for air). Any suggestions on where we should stay?

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
550 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

We stayed at West Wind Inn with our daughter when we first started coming to Sanibel, but a hotel room gets really crowded for a week. We now stay in a 2BR condo at Sand Pointe, which has an ocean view from most rooms and a heated pool fairly close to the beach. It isn't as large or impressive looking a complex as Pointe Santo, but the units we have rented have been really nice. You might look at craigslist or vrbo for last minute availability. We've used vrbo 3 times and have found their photos and descriptions to be very accurate. Good luck!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

I'd try Sanibel Arms or Arms West, Breakers West, Coquina Beach, Sea Shells of Sanibel, Island Inn.

Or call one of the agencies and see what they have for under 2K - Royal Shell, VIP, Sanibel Accommodations.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

I just checked Sanibel Arms West for your dates and it looks like they have a 2 B/R condo for your dates and price range.

www.sanibelarmswest.com/reservations.shtml

Madison, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

Thanks for your advice everyone!!! So I've been on the computer for the last few hours and have found 4 places - 2 in the east area and 2 in the middle. They are Sundial, Sanibel Arms West, Island Inn, and Tarpon Beach (not sure this one is available). (I'm not closed to other places but I just feel like we need to hurry and get something booked and I'm driving myself crazy looking at all the different options!) The most important things to us are the pool & proximity to the beach and of course a view would be great. We don't want a hotel room but more of a condo feel. Does anyone like (or not like) one over the others of those 4? Thanks again for your help!

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

Not a condo but Shalimar http://www.shalimar.com/ was showing either an efficiency or a 1BR cottage (have to pay for 7days) for your dates.

Nice pool and right on the beach.

Of your other choices I would just say that Island Inn has a very small pool though in a nice location.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

Tarpon Beach is right next to Pointe Santo and could be a good choice.

I looked on the VIP web site and see quite a few units at Loggerhead Cay which is one of the best budget bargains for a direct gulf complex and is popular with families. It as next door to the Sanibel Inn so you could go over there to use their pool bar if you like.

vip-vacationrentals.com/rns/search/PropertyL…

Berkshires...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

We stayed at Sundial last year with two kids (6 year old twins) and are going back again next week. We had a one bedroom condo, 30 second walk to beach (no view), and several pools. The main pool was a big hit with the kids - decent size, hot tub, and a waterslide. However, if you book a private rental, rather than directly through the resort, you don't have access to the main pool unless you pay the "amenities fee", which apparently has just gone up to $50/day per adult! This more than offsets any savings you may find renting privately. This year we are renting privately, and haven't figured out how to handle this, since my kids already know about the big pool - if your kids never see it, they won't know they're missing anything. Each area of the complex has it's own pool, and you can use all four of these without paying extra.

Good luck figuring it out! And depending on where you live, you might look at DirectAir for flights, although they may well be sold out for spring break (I bought our tickets for February back in July at $79 each way from Worcester, MA.

8. Re: 1st time - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:48