We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

Hi, we want to go to Sanibel Island for spring break. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. What part of the island is better to stay on with kids. We are looking to have some access to amenities, like restaurants and activities, and would love to have a place where there are other kids on the beach or at the pool. We are looking to spend less than $300 a night.

Would love to have some suggestions.

thanks loads

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

Are you looking for a resort? There are four - two on Captiva, two on Sanibel. Casa Ybel and Sundial are on Sanibel, Tween Waters and South Seas Resort are on Captiva.

Pointe Santo on Sanibel has kids activites, but no restaurant on site. Motels with restaurants and nice pools are West Wind Inn, Sanibel Inn and Holiday Inn.

If you're looking for spring break this year, as in a couple week away - book now. Things are pretty booked up, but hopefully you'll find something for your dates.

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

My husband and I are heading to Sanibel on 4/17 and we have booked a room at the Sundial Beach and Golf resort.The room was really nice-full kitchen etc. We stayed there last year and really liked it. It's a HUGE place-right on the ocean with two pools -one that has lots of kids/families the other a quieter pool. We rented a car at Ft. Meyers airport, as we found that a car is pretty needed to get around the island-unless you want to rent bikes and use that as a mode of transportation.

We had a very nice and RELAXING vacation-and obviously enjoyed it so much we are heading back! Can't wait!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

Are you planning a trip for spring break THIS year? If so, and in consideration of your budget, might want to visit www.vrbo.com and then click Florida>Southwest Florida>Sanibel>Loggerhead Cay. The rationale is that Loggerhead has several units that fall within your budget. The pool is large, but we took little ones there many times...just use "floaties" for extra safety. The lesser priced units are farthest from the beach, but still an easy walk and the 2BR condos will give you lots of room to spread out and relax. Nice tennis courts and shuffleboard.

Second suggestion would be to call the Chamber of Commerce directly. Tell them your dates and ask if they have a listing of available units and what they would suggest to meet your family requirements.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

Also, if coming withing the next several weeks / month, may find some useful information / assistance here:

http://www.rescen.com/sanibelcaptiva/

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

One thing to consider with such young kids is that Casa Ybel has a separate kiddie pool so that might give it an edge for you.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

I've gone down in the past with my young daughters and we loved Pointe Santo. Couldn't find a good rate this time around so we're headed to Sanibel Arms for a few days in early April. We're all excited to return and hit the beach, pool and eat at some of our favorite places and try a few new activities. Anyone else with kids headed down around Easter time?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

We just returned from 5 nights on Sanibel. We stayed at Kona Kai. It has only 12 units, so pool was mostly empty during the day. Nice big clean pool. We booked withing a couple weeks of our trip. $225 for studio (larger unit) high season. Fridge, kitchen table, sink, microwave, living room, 2 double/queen beds, bathroom. Nicely landscaped, pleasant area to sit outside your unit and drink coffee. Located on the main thoroughfare, but back from the road. Not bothered by traffic noise at all in room or on grounds.Within walking distance to Jerry's for groceries, across the street from BIlly's bike rental. Highly recommend.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

Ya know ... I have to say .. that Sanibel/Captiva is one of the very few places on earth where you could stay virtually anywhere on the island .. and be totally satisfied. The islands are 100% gorgeous from tip to tip - end to end. It actually reminds me of Nantucket .. another similar sized oasis of beauty and beaches (tho not quite as safe and tranquil imho) .

It's like a 'no-brainer' in the vacation world. That goes triple for 'young' families. Now , families teens are a whole other can 'o worms .. but I've never heard of a complaint in that area either (-:

Now if they could only turn OFF the wi-fi and the cell phone coverage - they would have PERFECTION & bliss .. but that's me !

9. Re: Sanibel Island w/ Kids - Where to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:42
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island