We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The bear is back!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The bear is back!

I just received an email from the City of Sanibel. A juvenile black bear that had been sighted in conservation lands since July 2011 has now been seen in residential areas. The latest sighting was between Causeway Road and Dixie Beach Road. Residents are warned to keep food and garbage cans secured and stored inside.

It was also stated that pursuant to Florida law, it is illegal to approach or harass this animal.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 20:13
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The bear is back!

The bear has been there the whole time. It was sighted regularly but just wasn't newsworthy, I guess.

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The bear is back!

Maybe the bear has been hanging with the monkey :- ) Sorry, couldn't resist. I thought someone said the bear had been trapped and removed from the island.......

Chicago
Level Contributor
199 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The bear is back!

Hot- If the bear is hanging with the monkey, shouldn't the city warn people to hide their cans of Pepsi?

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The bear is back!

I received a correction email this evening. The bear is now listed as an adult bear, not juvenile.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The bear is back!

Maybe s/he just grew really fast! This subspecies of black bear is endangered, so I don't think they could legally trap and remove it.

As for Pepsi- I've switched to Coke, just to be on the safe side.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The bear is back!

So...just curious...is the bear now going to be considered just another part of the natural "wildlife" on Sanibel? Didn't cause too much concern when (I thought) he was seen down toward the wildlife preserve area, but seems he has learned to scavenge in a more "people dense" location. It's one thing to co-exist with these critters in the Northwoods of Wisconsin where they are numerous and where there is extensive forest habitat, but Sanibel / Captiva area is much more limited. Seems likely there will eventually be bear / human encounters if he starts to hang out in neighborhoods with attractive garbage receptacles. Any possibility of attempting to trap and remove him to a mainland forest area? He might like having the opportunity to meet some other bears!!!

Edited: 01 June 2012, 15:28
Chicago
Level Contributor
199 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The bear is back!

There's a pic of the bear crossing the street on the I Love Shelling Facebook page this morning. Very neat!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The bear is back!

They have been trying to trap the bear ever since it destroyed someone's bee boxes several months ago. If trapped, it will be removed and released off island.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
852 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The bear is back!

FYI bear update...for those who have interest:

Black Bear on Sanibel Sighted at Lighthouse Beach & Fishing Pier

The adult black bear that has been observed at various locations on Sanibel Island since July 2011 has been frequenting the Sanibel Lighthouse Beach Park and the Sanibel Fishing Pier.

The City of Sanibel is actively working with the Fish and Wildlife Service to relocate the black bear off-island. If you see the bear, please do not approach the bear. Immediately contact the Sanibel Police Department at (239) 472-3111. If an Emergency, dial 9-1-1.

Pursuant to State law, it is illegal to approach or harass this animal. Black Bears are native to Florida and are protected under state law. Dwindling populations in Florida have caused this subspecies to be listed as "threatened" under the Florida Endangered and Threatened Species Statute.

The Sanibel Police and Natural Resources Department advise residents and visitors to take precautionary measures to keep all food and garbage secured and stored inside if possible. The State of Florida recommendations for residences within black bear habitat include:

Storing trash in a secure area until morning of pickup

Bring pet food or any other food source inside

Remove anything from your yard that could attract bears (anything that would attract dogs, cats, and raccoons can also attract bears)

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The bear is back!

So many sightings, but so few pictures. I was at the fishing pier on Thursday. I didn't see any warnings posted or the bear.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island