We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Hi! I'm planning our first trip to Florida, and we're planning for Sanibel! I'm pretty excited :) I'm trying to find relatively inexpensive lodging near either Lighthouse beach or Bowman's beach. We like walking and biking to get around, so we would like to be near enough to one of these beaches and also shopping/dining areas. We are not too picky about the actual room or condo as we plan on being out and about most of the time.

Thank you in advance for all recommendations!!!

England
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Relatively close to Bowman's is West end paradise complete with own private access beach and bikes.

http://www.sanibel-westend.com/home.php

Lighthouse end you have the Colony resort colonyresortsanibel.com/Content/default.asp and a selection of small inns http://www.sanibelsmallinns.com/

Note that for either location the main shopping/dining area on Periwinkle is some way off and not within walking distance. Also no street lights so a car is essential.

St. louis
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

We stay at the Sanibel Inn, about one mile from the Lighthouse. Their sister hotel is next door, Song of the Sea.Another sister hotel is Seaside Inn, even closer to the lighthouse. They have a Summer Escape package, 4th night free. You are right on the beach. SI has rooms, suites and condos, outdoor bar, pool, bikes.We have not stayed at the other 2 I mentioned. As was stated before, you need a car to get to dinning, shopping.Sanibel is a wonderful place..enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Would be helpful to know your time frame. Summer rates differ significantly from winter rates, thus may affect the places one would recommend. Also, if you are visiting "off season", the Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center, located on the right just after you cross over the causeway, keeps a list of last minute rentals available at (often) reduced rates. Would not recommend this for "peak" season, but might be worth considering during summer / fall months.

ottawa
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

I stayed at SANIBEL ARMS recently .. which was the perfect location for access to all you noted .. kind of in between the Lighthouse beach and the main drag shopping/restaurants ... just perfect !!

I should add they also have some of the BEST rates on Sanibel.

Cheers.

Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Thank you for the recommendations! Do any of these places have easy access to the bike trails?

England
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

Check this out www.sanibeltrails.com/sanibel-bike-paths.aspx

ottawa
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

YES ... pretty much all the beach condos on the Island are right on the bike paths. Periwinkle is also very bike friendly .. tho biking after dark is not really doable on Sanibel.

cheers.

8. Re: Accommodation recommendations near lighthouse or bowman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:41