We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Fountain?

NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Shell Fountain?

I leave for Sanibel 6/18. What is the "shell fountain"? I have seen it referred to on many posts. Can anyone recommend a book about shells to determine what I might find?

Also how's the weather?

Thank you!

Lisa

Edited: 14 June 2012, 16:57
Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shell Fountain?

The shell fountain is actually the end of the pipe used when they dredge sand to either replenish the beaches or open up Blind Pass. There was another thread on here recently about the possible dredging of Blind Pass in the near future.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 18:19
Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shell Fountain?

I am on Sanibel, now. The dredging has not started. I did follow a large flat bed semi yesterday on the way to Captiva. It pulled in next to the Santiva market. It had large pipe on it. Maybe, soon!

Chicago
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shell Fountain?

Thanks for the update Mary! I sure hope what you saw is for the dredging. I'll be arriving next week Saturday, so I hope the fountain's on by then.

Newburgh, IN
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shell Fountain?

Just saw an article that the dredging is supposed to start today (6-18) and continue 24/7 through august.

I'm going to be there next week. Where exactly is this pipe end located on bowmans beach? is it near the beach or out in the water? Looking forward to checking it out.

NJ
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shell Fountain?

Oh I like the timing on that shell fountain. If they start it up anytime this week it will be great ... ill be there 6/26 thru 7/5 !

Lets get that fountain running !!!!!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
938 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shell Fountain?

FYI from city of sanibel:

Blind Pass Maintenance Dredging

Begins Today -Portions of Turner Beach Parking Lot Temporarily Closed for Duration of Project

Beginning today, the Lee County Department of Natural Resources commenced maintenance dredging of Blind Pass. Approximately 120,000 cubic yards of sand will be removed from the pass. The dredged sand will be used to re-nourish portions of eroded beach at Bowman's Beach Park.

Due to Contractor mobilization, a portion of the parking lot at Turner Beach will be closed. Additionally, fishing from the Blind Pass Bridge will be prohibited for the duration of this maintenance dredging project. The project is expected to last for 65 days.

For additional information regarding Lee County's Blind Pass dredging project, please visit their website located at:

http://www.lee-county.com/gov/dept/NaturalResources/Marine/Pages/BlindPass.aspx  or call the Lee County Department of Natural Resources at (239) 533-8109

Edited: 19 June 2012, 05:02
Miami
Level Contributor
162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shell Fountain?

Woohoo, I'm going to be on Captiva for the last 2 weeks of July. Missed checking out the fountain a few years ago, so I won't this time! Thanks for the update Duluth.

Newburgh, IN
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shell Fountain?

Guys, any updates on the shell fountain? I heard that it was supposed to have started already. Also, where exactly does the pipe end come out? Is it out in the water or up on bowman's beach?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shell Fountain?

Hi there! Any news of the dredging?

Chicago
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shell Fountain?

I didn't see any equipment on Tuesday/Wednesday at Blind Pass. Not sure if they hadn't started or if they pulled the equipment because of Tropical Storm Debby.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island