We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian choices ??

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian choices ??

My daughter decided to join my husband and myself on our trip to Captiva.

Any restaurants that would have a good vegetarian choice ?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

You might clarify whether she eats fish or seafood as some people think vegetarians eat those items. And how far are you willing to travel - you won't have many choices on Captiva as it is.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

Every single restaurant we visited on our last trip had vegan and vegetarian choices. One of my kids is a vegetarian, one is a vegan, the third kid is a carnivore!

Hungry Heron has a ton of choices:

http://www.hungryheron.com/menu.shtml

Matzaluna, Doc Fords, Sanibel Grill all have vegetarian options.

Take a look at the Cuisine-Scene for menus and restaurant listings, there are clickable links on which you can view each restaurants menu.

www.cuisine-scene.com/pages/listings.html

Edited: 11 July 2012, 19:28
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

Old Captiva House has a few and RC Otter's, a popular family spot in the village has black beans and rice or Caesar Salad - either of which can be topped with grilled portobello and roasted red peppers, tortilla chips and fresh salsa and a veggie quesadilla.. Places like Sunset Grill in Santiva (Blind Pass area where Captiva and Sanibel meet on the Sanibel side, Trader's Cafe, Thistle Lodge, have one or more vegetarian options, but not many and if you ask, places like Doc Ford's would probably keep the shrimp separate in things like their QUINOA SALAD. They do offer black bean dip and beach bread (a cheese laden French bread that can be a meal in itself. I can make a meal of their black beans and rice there. Even Cheeburger Cheeburger offers a veggie burger and little Sanibel Cafe in Tahitian Gardens (a favorite lunch and breakfast spot of mine) offers Greek Salads, Caesar Salad, grilled tomatoes, veggie burgers and other meat free options like and open face grilled cheese, tomato and onion sandwich. They serve my favorite Key Lime Pie (or at least they did.)

I think you can find plenty of spots, but it will depend on strict a vegetarian she is.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 19:48
Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

Thanks so much ! We just went to a restaurant last night at home - Famous Dave's ( a rib place offering plenty of burger choices ) that didn't have a single thing on the menu. I don't understand why it would be so hard to keep a pack of veggie burgers in the freezer ???

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I have since checked out the menu's of places we like and can include Doc Fords, The Crow's Nest, Island Cow and The Bubble Room to start.

We usually like Gramma Dot's, but the choices therearenot so good for her.

Oh - she eats no fish or meat, but is OK with dairy, eggs.

Thanks again !

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

If you get off island near downtown Fort Myers, your daughter would probably love Chef Brooke's Natural Cafe - actual vegetarian food, not just main dishes with a substitution or microwaved veggie burger. Her veggie burger is made from actual fresh vegetables.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34230-d15…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

My husband used to be vegan. He says the rice and beans at Island Cow are unusually good. They also have a vegie stir fry that I really like and order even though I'm not vegetarian. Over Easy has some good choices. The portobello burger at Key Lime Bistro is excellent.

16traveler16, you are so right. A true vegetarian doesn't eat fish or shellfish, which are animals. But a restaurant near where I live up north actually put itself out of business because of this misunderstanding- they had a venue for folk music upstairs and hoped that would attract dinner customers, but the owner refused to put a vegetarian entree on the menu ( despite many requests) for folkie vegetarians because "vegetarians eat fish". It was a real shame- it was a great place to hear music.

Anyway, one of the reasons DH and I fell in love with Sanibel was the easy availability of vegan food ( at the time he was vegan)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

Winifred, I know some people who call themselves 'vegetarians' who eat eat shellfish but not other fish. I just consider them non-meat eaters, not vegetarians. Makes 'em mad. heheheheheheheheheheheh I've noticed that being 'vegetarian' can be fadish for some folks, for others a true way of life. They won't wear leather or any animal based goods. Others demand things like 'unfertilized eggs' for omelets, no butter or cheese - almost vegan. It can get pretty confusing. I once had to explain the difference between 'organic' and 'free range' eggs to someone in a grocery store.

Many people want to do something, however small a gesture, towards improving how animals are treated in the food chain. I understand that - I buy free range eggs myself and eat many meatless meals by choice. I just like veggies. Make all the decisions about your protein consumption you want, just don't get between me and a rare rib eye steak when you're doing it!

8. Re: Vegetarian choices ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:47