We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to go on Sanibel?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
72 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to go on Sanibel?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and i are looking at taking a holiday to Sanibel next year.

We both enjoy peace and quiet and wildlife and would prefer being fairly close(within walking distance) of reasonable bars/restaurants.

We like the idea of chilling out, going on the beach shelling(which we love) but it seems to me that on the West end of Sanibel(the quieter end?) you would need a car to get to places...we enjoy a drink or two with our meal in the evening and wouldnt want to drink/drive so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations....makes us sound like alcoholics which we are not but we do like to relax with a few drinks of an evening.

We are thinking of visiting June/July as the heat/humidity doesnt bother us

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

The Castaways in Santiva have decent cottages some on the beach and some on the bay. There are 3 reastaurants in walking distance. The Mad Hatter, Lazy Flamingo, and The Sunset grill. There is also a small grocery there as well.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
72 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

Thanks for that.we'll have a look at that.regards

Sheffield
Level Contributor
72 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

Thanks for that.we'll have a look at that.regards

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

Santiva is one of the few places that will meet your requirements on Sanibel. Captiva Village might be better suited to your needs - Try Jensen's Gulfside or if you want a small cottage, try Kap-Tiki or Captiva Cutie (small private pool close to beach) to rent in the village - available at AMRC http://www.captiva-island.com/amrc/cutie.htm Or Estrella, Coral Cottage (A block from beach or bay with a private pool), or Captiva Hampton (on the beach) at Royal Shell Vacations. http://www.royalshell.com/vrmgr/category/caphome]

Another option, if you want a hotel type stay is Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. It's about a mile to the heart of the village from there, but they have 2 bars, 2 restaurants, pool, spa, and nice beach as well as a lively marina. Less quiet than Jensen's of a cottage, but it comes with housekeeping.

Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

They do have a few cottages at Tween Waters if you don't like hotel rooms but I think I would go Tourmaline's suggestion to stay close to the village if you want to stay on Captiva.

6. Re: Best place to go on Sanibel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island