We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my trip for October-Help!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Planning my trip for October-Help!

I'm trying to plan ahead to ensure i get the most of our trip.. these are what I've found that's piqued our interest..although I'm not sure that i'll be able to fit it all in so please tell me your opinions... it's my mom (54) and myself (28) for the week of Halloween (sun-fri)

*Sanibel Thriller

*Parasailing one day

*Cayo Costa/Outter Islands Tour for shelling

*Fort Meyers Manatee Park/Jensens for manatee sightings

*Nascrab races

*Ding Darling Refuge/Kayak Tarpon Bay

Plus the remainder of the time we'll fill with shelling and basking in the sun as well as indulging in seafood and adult beverages.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 19:59
ottawa
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

Captiva run to MUCKY DUCK for the sunsets ...

Bike bike bike .. around Sanibel's fabulous bike paths !!

Visit to the FISHING PIER and LIGHTHOUSE BEACH.

Lunch at Gramma Dots at the marina.

Becoming 'Sanibel'ized' (-:

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

I don't know that I would make a special trip from Sanibel to Mantee Park. Its a nice place but you'll kill a half day to make the trip. I would make the drive up to Jensens though and spend some time walking around the village.

Maryland
Level Contributor
408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

Love...I agree with Corona, scratch leaving the island for the manatee park. Jensen's with a side of adult beverage in Captiva should satisfy your Manatee Jones. Personally, I would also forego the parasail. It's tough to hold a Margarita when you're up there.....just saying'...

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

If you enjoy fast boats and dolphins, the Thriller will deliver. You should make a reservation in advance.

I hiked in the Ding Darling Refuge expecting to see a lot of wildlife but didn't. If you go, do it early or late to avoid all the other people (hopefully) who are scaring the wildlife away.

I only stopped by Tarpon Bay near the end of our visit but wished I would have had time to canoe or kayak.

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

Thank you everyone for your responses!!! I'll probably just do Jensen's rather than the Manatee Park.. Thanks for the tip!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

I would do the parasailing thing at least once though. It's great to get up there and see the whole island from the air.

iowa
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

I agree with CoronaandLime. My husband and I went parasailing on our 1st visit to Sanibel, it was so fun and the view of the island was spectacular! Hope you have a wonderful time. I'm counting the days til my Nov. trip, Sanibel is the best!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

Be sure to take the new Cutter's Dry in case the "no see-ums" are bad! I've never found anything that worked against them for me, on several trips to Sanibel, but I've heard that this new repellant is supposed to! Hope to be testing it there soon ... :-)

Have a wonderful trip!

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

Thanks so much!!!! It's my mom's birthday and she wants to do the parasailing so we'll definately make that a go... and Arabella I will pack them in my bag as I've heard about those blasted buggers and hope to avoid them.

Bristol, Connecticut
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning my trip for October-Help!

I'm a condo owner on sanibel but only get to use it during the off season due to long term renters who take Jan thru march. As a result i go to sanibel a lot in october. You've got a very good list going.

Some of my favorite things that aren't already listed here:

Kayaking thru Ding Darling at sunset while the birds are all flying in to roost on their island. Gorgeous!! (you can take a pontoon boat if kayaking isn't an option.

For a visit by car to the refuge: go at 7 am when the birds are feeding, it's a different place!

I love the spa at the Sanibel Harbour marriott! Get there early to enjoy the whirlpool, steamroom etc. Bring your suit.

Coconuts Bar on the beach at Casa Ybel - live music. Great place to hang out!!

Sunsets on the beach in front of the Mucky Duck on Captiva. Arrive early, parking lot fills up early.

Relax relax relax andvEnjoy!!!

The captiva cruises are nice, but go on a smaller boat!

Edited: 01 October 2012, 04:47