We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most luxurious accomodations

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Most luxurious accomodations

We are looking at the first week of December and would like up to stay at an up to date property with comfortable beds and furnishings. We would need a very nicely heated pool large enough to do some swimming. It does not matter if smaller inn or larger facility. I appreciate any suggestions.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

I'd consider reposting this with the question being " largest heated pool" rather than "most luxurious accomodations". Most places ( maybe all) on Sanibel have comfortable beds and nice furnishings- so it's the pool that would be the deciding factor. Sorry but I don't know about that.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

By and large, the pools on Sanibel aren't all that large. Certainly the Sundial has a decent main pool, plus 4-5 additional small ones throughout the property, but you need to rent thru an agency and then pay the resort fee on top. Another option would be Casa Ybel, but like any hotel/timeshare, rooms vary.

Hands down, the BEST pool on the islands is at South Seas Resort on Captiva. The downside is their notoriously erratic service and large numbers of children (usually not an issue early Dec). They have private homes through their rental program or consider a beach home. Those are exactly as photoed as you rent a specific home thru the resort. If you rent a condo (that includes their 'beach villas' which are condos), the decor van range from great to awful. However, staying on the beach puts you a ways away from the main resort pool, so there's ALWAYS a tradeoff. The best units rent through agencies and the resort access fee (which allows use of the main pools) is $75/per day/per adult 16 and up AND you MUST pay that fee for the full stay length upon arrival. If beachfront, you'll need a golf cart to get around. Beautiful spot, but not an easy place to navigate.

Pointe Santo has a SMALL pool for such a large complex and you'd be disappointed.

As for the 'resorts' on Sanibel, well, they have kind of modestly sized pools. Certainly nothing showy or elaborate. Only SSR comes close to that.

You can rent some SUPER condos, but the pool heat is up to the ASSOCIATION RULES and trust me, agencies do not know all those rules. I've been that route.

If a good sized pool is important, consider a private house rental on Captiva. Places like Island Girl, Bali Hi (40 ft pool), and a few others have nice pools. Though the condos are small, the pool at Captiva Hide-away is nice, not huge, but immaculate and deep enough. Unit 1B is VERY comfortable, but best suited to a couple as is quite small.

Sundial K103 through Royal Shell is a good choice ON the beach, but remember you will need to pay the resort fee to use the restaurants and main pool, which a good size. The resort, not the condo association, controls that pool heat. If you want a big unit, check out Bandy Beach D101, also thru Royal Shell - but make sure about the pool heat. Loggerhead Cay has a good sized pool, but again, check the heating question.

The big advantage to renting a private place on Captiva is the fact most home owners will agree to turning on the heat. Talk to AMRC and Royal Shell. Bali Hi is a GREAT home, but huge and pricey. There are condos on Captiva called Captiva Beach Condos. There are only 4 townhouse style units with killer views that share a decent sized pool. Beautiful furnishings. Royal Shell rents 3 of them and 1 rents through Home Away or VRBO privately. Certainly the pool will NOT be crowded, but again, you MUST ask about heat.

Last suggestion would be Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. A decent sized pool, historic resort (that means thin walls) and the best restaurant on Captiva.

No perfect place unless you want to stay at the Marriott on Marco Island which would pretty much have everything.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Thanks for replying. I just want a nicely appointed place with a decent sized pool( does not have to be really big) that is heated nicely. I enjoy biking so I thought Sanibel would be better than Captiva? Thanks.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Then start with Sundial, Loggerhead Cay (both are larger complexes with a wide range of units) or consider a small complex like Sanya, which has very nice units and due to the small size, few people at the pool, or Blue Gulf (no elevator there which is a huge pain with groceries, luggage, and trash removal), Golden Beach #4 is a 4 unit complex on a quiet stretch of beach, but again, no elevator and townhouse style, so stairs inside as well. SHorewood on East Gulf has a really nice unit in 3A - 3 bed, 3 bath, top floor with vaulted ceilings, big porch and direct Gulf views. Right on the bike path (as are the others) and 11 units. Nice pool, BUT when I stayed there the pool was NOT heated in early Dec. They didn't turn the heat on till Dec 15. No way you could spend any time in the pool. That's pretty common with condos.

Sundial (with the resort fee) and Casa Ybel might be the two best bets.]

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

kod:

It's difficult to follow a post from Tourmaline...she is one of the true Sanibel experts. However, just to lend another voice based on the impression I am getting from your notes. Of the units Tourm suggested, Sayana is my very favorite. It is on West Gulf Drive and, with only 6 units, the medium sized pool does not generally get a great deal of use. Each unit has a lovely view of the Gulf as well. There's a tennis court, too.

Loggerhead has the largest pool on Sanibel with the exception of Casa Ybel and they also have a number of very nicely renovated units along with a couple of great tennis courts. You can check out many of the available units at www.vrbo.com. Prices vary with setback from the water, but the majority of units will be less expensive than at Sayana.

Sundial is a bit large for my taste and you may encounter additional fees to use the main pool if you rent from a private owner directly. Some people really love the complex though.

If you are a "serious" swimmer, the Sanibel Community Recreation Center has a fabulous pool that is open to the public. You might want to google that and see what you think. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy Sanibel Island!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Correction...Sayana has 9 units. Sorry about that!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Hi GrandmaMac! You know Sanya better than I do since I know you've stayed there. Do you know when the association turns on the pool heat?

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Thanks so much. I looked at Sayana which was nice and not expensive, but the question of the heated pool is paramount. When you rent a condo either thru an agency or the owner, can you believe them about the pool being heated or not? A cold swimming pool would ruin our vacation. Are Sundials and Casa Ybels' pools reliable warm the last week Novemeber and 1st week December?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

Condo Associations will typically start to turn pool heaters on during the first week of December. Many of the complexes use the same association, so the rules are generally the same. If a cool front does come through early, they will turn them on. With a private home, you have more control with the pool heater than with an association.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Most luxurious accomodations

OK, I did get some interesting news via PM about Sundial and have to cross K103 off the list. Also, the resort may, or may not, be changing management, so I'm going with saying Casa Ybel. Not posh, certainly not as posh as many private condos, but you will have pool heat.

But seriously, talk to any of the agencies and ASK. Although Royal SHell has the best and easiest to use website, I found the folks at Select Vacation Properties super helpful when I used them. I've not had a better agency experience, but because they are small, so is their selection. They have a lovely beach front unit at Island Beach Club (P6D) and that complex has a nice pool, several at Sanddollar, and a nice one at Sand Point, and moderately sized place. All are Gulf Front.

http://www.selectvacationproperties.com/

That said, Sanya has a great quiet location, good sized units and is one of the small complexes, like Golden Beach and few others.

Try talking to the folks at Select Vacation properties. I found them very honest and knowledgeable. And they also got pool heat turned on early for me at one place I stayed, so I KNOW they work hard to keep guests happy.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 18:23