We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

Hi

Can anyone recommend a place to go fossil hunting not far from Sanibel Island?

thanks

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

Depends on your definition of "not far." There are fossiling tours on the Peace River, about 90 minutes from Sanibel. Google will lead you to several companies.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

The Peace River is famous for fossils. Mid-way between Sanibel and Sarasota it would be the closest site.

…state.fl.us/geology/…fossil.htm

If you don't take a tour (I'd suggest you consider it as they know the best places), you might need to buy a permit - it's only $5. The above site should help. Just google Southwest Florida Fossil Tours for suppliers. I haven't done it, so I have no recommendations.

There are restrictions, including 'shell mounds' that are protected sites under FL law.

Englewood, Florida...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

The fossil hunting on the Peace River is better in the colder months when the level of the river goes down. Peace River Campground close to Arcadia is a good place to start as far as info. For a day trip to find sharks teeth, fossilized bones & such Manasota Key is only a 2 hour drive north of Sanibel. Here's a link for some of the best sharks tooth hunting beaches -

…blogspot.com/p/best-beaches.html

If it's the big megalodon teeth you are after, you will have to scuba dive the boneyard which is about 1/2 mile off the Manasota Key coast. There are quite a few charters that will take you out to dive for the big fossils & larger sharks teeth. SWFL is an awesome place to find fossils.

4. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 00:35
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

You might try googling a guy named Mark Renz. I saw him give a talk at an Audubon meeting in Fort Myers several months ago. He is a fossil hunter, and I believe he said he's found megalodon teeth (among other things) in the Peace River in Charlotte County. That's just north of Lee County, where Sanibel is. He talks about ditch-diving in the summer months, when the rain loosens everything up, and he talks about haunting construction sites to see if anything good comes up.

There are also a number of kayak expeditions you can take down the Peace River to find fossils. Some of them are multi-day adventures, some just an afternoon.

Good luck and have fun :)

*~*~*

Sumiton, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

I would like to come down and hire a guide to go with and would like to search for fossil and would like to by water like snorkeling not scuba around July or Aug. How do I go about that.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

Hi

Mark Renz is an excellent guide

Here is a link to his website

http://www.fossilexpeditions.com

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

If you are looking to scuba o snorkel this group has trips just off Venice FL beach about every day

http://www.megalodoncharters.com/

Edited: 25 March 2014, 22:27
9. Re: fossil hunting not far from sanibel island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island